Newbie Opinions Always Negative???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Opinions Always Negative???

Newbie Opinions Always Negative???

I've been on the site for about two weeks now. Every time I give someone positive points, they email me with a request about the antipoints assignment. Inside their email, I can see that the points assigment was negative, but I know I gave them positive points.

This has happened on two occasions now. I was told by another member that the antipoints I assign wouldn't even count because I don't have enough myself. Whether it counts or not, I do like to give poeple credit for good posts and send them the little one-liner about what I liked about the post.

Any ideas, though, on why why attempted positives come up as negatives?
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com

It's always been like that, if your assignments don't count yet (not enough antipoints/posts) then they will show up as grey to the person you assigned them to. If they choose to contact you about the assignment then the pm that you receive will say that your assignment was negative, regardless of whether you actually made it positive or negative. Since it doesn't count either way, whether it says negative or positive doesn't really matter. So basically, don't worry about it too much

-toad

ok, thanks :-)

I just don't want people thinking I'm going around and arbitrarily negging people.
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com

I don't believe that your posts are actually making the thread negative. I had the same exact thing hapen to me, however when I requested more information from the sender they told me

It didnt have an effect, i was just surprised that so many people negged me.
    At least in my situation my AP's didn't have any effect. Because I still have newbie status might be one of the most reasonable explainations. Also check your antipoint center, it shows the ones that you've given out. If the box's that you assingned have the color grey than the most likely had zero effect on the post.

Hope this helps...
    --Peace
    The real question is not whether peace can be obtained, but whether or not mankind is mature enough for it...

\"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

I understand that it may have had zero effect om the post, but it looks bad for me that ALL assignments I give, whether positive or negative, appear as negative to the poster.

I like this site, but if my opinions of someone elses post will continue to be negative until I get enought greenies myself, I guess I'll just have to PM the individual to give the props as opposed to giving them positive antipoints that appear as negative and influence how people think of me as a newbie. This is an easy enough solution, but I thinkit would make more sense if the antipoints reflected what the newbie assigner INTENDED (whether the points are effective or not), rather than always being negative.
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com

They don't appear as negative... the assignment shows up as a grey dot, not a red dot. The person you assign the antipoints to doesn't get to see the pm that gets sent off when they choose the 'contact this user about this assignment' option. They can only see the grey dot in their antipoint centre which signifies that the assignment didn't count either way, and they can usually tell whether you intended it to be positive or negative from the comment. It really is nothing to worry about.

ok. that makes a little more sense. a user asked me about a point assingment once and the PM I got said it was negative... I replied (including the original message which showed a neg) and the user told me not to worry because it didn't count and they had enough greenies that, if it did count, it wouldn't really affect them that much.

I appreciate all your responses. If the points I hand out truly aren't affecting people in a negative way (as they state in the email I receive when a user clicks the "contact user about point assigment" link - or whatever it says), should I continue to hand out pos/neg antipoints and keep myself in that mode, or should I wait until they count? I really do want to give people credit for their posts.
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com

I used to provide feedback through the AP system before I had enough for it to count. No one got confused. It works out well. Anyone who gets confused by the grey dot is probably a noob themselves.

Rock on.
    \"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

cool... that's what I figured. Plus, I'd rather get into the habit of giving them out than not giving them out.

Time for a 6am workout and them I'm going to bed... haven't slept yet!

Good Night and thanks again everyone.... Rock On Indeed!!!
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com