Thread: stealing back my hotmail account

stealing back my hotmail account

Well not exactly.....first let me apologise in advance to any I may offend. It is not my intent as a newbie to do so. I have read your rules, I have done the searches, and my butt is sore from sitting here searching for hours on end. I have a problem and seek the advice of those who might have the answer.

In March of this year, while going through some marital difficulties, I attempted to close my hotmail account. My husband had been accessing it without my permission. However, it never closed. Being that he was the only one with the personal information to reactivate it, I can only assume it is him. At first I thought it was a glitch. Never giving it much thought. Until recently (and in the past) I have had people claim to have been in contact with me that I haven't personally had any contact with since March. Or a few asking why I never email back. And to make it worse, he seems to be causing havoc with particular people. I contacted Hotmail and provided them with pertinant information about the account. (such as files, email addys, settings within the acount itself, etc.) But all they keep saying is the must respect the privacy of it's members. I AM the member !!! (Hubby of course denies everything..always does...even when caught red handed) Is there a way to gain access to my account since it was never closed??? Please, I am desperate. I am not a hacker, so to speak. I mean no harm. I just want MY privacy back NOW!....any ideas?

well, since you didn't mention it, i feel obliged to ask the question of whether you can still get in your account, yourself. if the password hasn't been changed, you can just get in and change it. i can only assume that you don't have the password, as you probably wouldn't be asking for help if you still did.

regardless, the best thing you can probably do is get a new email account (something a little more secure than Hotmail, ie. anything else), then tell everyone you have this new account, and any emails from your old account are not, in fact, you sending them.

it might take a bit of work, but it works.
    i will shoot you so hard.

Another thing I would point out is that usually when you set up a webmail account they ask you a question like "what is your mothers maiden name" or "What is your favorite colour". If you did set up the account surely you could just click on the standard "Forgotten your password?" link. It will then bring you to a page to answer the question. If you answer the question correctly it will allow you to change your password - locking your ex out.

Of course I don't have the password....it's been changed....and so has a portion of the profile. I have a newer and different account now. But it does not change the fact that he is messing with me and others by pretending to be me. Something is very wrong and I am simply trying to put a stop to it. But thanks for the advice.

Well if he was your ex and you have the email address, there are only a couple of standard questions. Not wanting to give a way to break into hotmail accounts (im sure everyone is responsible) Im sure YOU know what his mothers maiden name is.

if only it was as as simple as is mothers maiden name

Banned
    Hummm.... and you say your married to this guy? You should go injto your guest book and get rid of all the addresses so no harm can be done through that account. If someone asks, just tell them the truth that someone has stolen your account or is spoofing the address. If you keep your address nice and empty then eventually whoever has your account will get bored of stareing at nothing all day and eventually leave. You also might want to clean your temp. internet files. If it asks if you'd like to save the password click no.

BTW The password shouldn't be like a noun or a verb that can easly be found in any dictionary so try useing less common keys.

Talking

ROTFLMAO.........aaahhh......yes I am married to this guy.....long story....hard to leave one that is handicapped and relies so much on me with 5 children.......If I had access to the account now I would have stripped all info.....however, I don't....which is why I came seeking help. Appearently there is a way, though no one is willing to share that info. Oh well, I understand and should have known better. Just desperate and frustrated enough to ask. Thanks for all the advice. And I have informed everyone. But he can be very convincing. After all, who knows me better.....what I would say, how I would say it.......quite confusing for some.

"Appearently there is a way, though no one is willing to share that info."

There isnt actually. The no1 post on any security site is "How do I hack hotmail?". Despite microsofts reputation for insecure software hotmail is too hard to hack for mere mortals. Any hacker who knows how to break into hotmail accounts is not the type of hacker who will post on a public message board.

I also have to go with what Spyrul said: "get a new email account (something a little more secure than Hotmail, ie. anything else), then tell everyone you have this new account, and any emails from your old account are not, in fact, you sending them".

I use Yahoo e-mail and find it extremely better than Hotmail in terms of spam control and the amount of storage you're allowed.
    I\'d rather die on my feet than live my life on my knees.

(Emiliano Zapata, a Mexican revolutionary in the early 1900s)