Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What You Don’t See On Your Hard Drive

owned by a fellow canadian though so its not quite as embarrassing eh?

Anyway, very informative, thanks for the thread. Learned more in this thread than I have at school so far this year
    I did not come here to tell you how it is going to end, I came here to tell you how it was going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, then I\'m going to tell these people what you don\'t want them to hear.

no0Dle, if you are interested I did do a review on how to undelete in Linux but it's a little complicated. I made the 'review' as basic as possible and it's source is there as well. If you are indeed interested it's at:
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...linux+undelete
    enjoy

Hey great find and post. This is some of the more intresting posts Ive read so far.

I for one would like to know how many overwrites the likes of OnTrack can find and recover from. I think they are one of the bestin this field and have seen some of their offices.
    Mind you they ain't half expensive. I once heard of a guy at a council who trashed a RAID 5 array. 5 drives recovered for £15,000. Thats Pounds Sterling!!!!

Banned
    i know u guys are worried about 3,7,27,35 passes and such but i have a much safer system. it's the "crush and burn". a hammer and fireplace will do the trick. after running the stringest magnet avail ova ur hdd, smash it then burn it... done =P

if u want ur data "protected" then think about it seriousely for a sec. how can they get the info if the hdd is in 100 pieces. if ur data it THAT important that u need to do more then 7passes on it then y not opt for a new hdd and trash ur old one?

just my opinion.

this is an excellent discussion on recovering deleted files that were once saved on a hard disk- but what if a file was prepared on a pc but saved on an external disk- is there anyway of recovering/detecting the file that was produced on that machine but was never saved on the hard disk?

my thoughts are that if the file uses the paging file which resides on the hard disk then there is going to be remnants of it- but what if it is just stored in RAM and how would you know whether it is being held in RAM or in the paging file?

Interesting paper, though I admit I didn't read too much into it - some of the stuff's a little over my poor newbie head. If this has been covered before I apologise...when you delete files from your hard drive, and subsequantly empty your 'trash,' is the data physically erased from your drive? Or is there still a way to retrieve it? Just curious..

Is it only possible to recover data from a hard drive after it has been deleted... or can you do it with other drives too?

By that I mean, CDR-W, floppy disk or flash memory.

I presume that a CDR-W and floppy would be able to recover data from, but flash is a bit different?

I just got one of them usb flash drives. Maybe I'll do some testing on it.
    Anyone know of any good but free unerase utilities?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hey All,

I am working on a VB Raw disk reader at the moment to help us all with forensics challenges.

I already have a perfect working DOS raw disk reader/editor. If anyone wants a copy drop a mail to mark_boyle2002@yahoo.co.uk and I will send it to you.

MB - Bytes Ahead.

Know of a "safe" free tool to overwrite "free" space????
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool