Thread: SmoothWall

SmoothWall

Hi All,

I got advised of this Free Firewall (although for a corporate solution it does cost some $'s), and at a glance, it seems pretty damn good.

http://www.smoothwall.org/

..it was designed to produce a hardened internet firewall device, turning a server, workstation or reduntant PC into a replacement for a hardware firewall router often costing several thousands of dollars.
    take this product and shove it under the noses of the security vendors charging huge amounts of money for providing lesser product.
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

er0k
    well its more than just a firewall, its an operating system basically. it can also be used as a router. its great i recommend you use it if you are looking for security only on a machine.

I have been playing with this Firewall for a couple of months now. You can use it as a firewall, proxy server and router. I only use it for a firewall and proxy server though. I have separate routers.

It is pretty damn kewl. I have it running on a cybernet pc (on of those ones that have the whole pc built into the keyboard except for the monitor and the mouse) and it works great. Install a second network card, and you can just set it and leave it. You can manage it from a different PC on your network, but not from the internet.

My buddy recommended it so I gave it a whirl. Then just last month I saw it in the Linux Format magazine. They rated it one of the best Linux based firewalls out there. They especially gave it a even better rating because of the cost for personal use... FREE.

FREE is always great for us poor college folks.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I used this firewall at my house, it's awsome. It was free, easy to set up and works great! I highly recommend it to anyone with a spare pc laying around who don't have a decent firewall running.

-gunder

I use smoothwal and have been for a couple of years now. the issue i seem to have now is that i am not to sure on how to add another NIC to the system. If anyone could be of help, it would be appreciated

IPCOP is a smoothwall based suite that is a bit more open and hackable

you may check it out (I do use it in some instances) www.ipcop.org
    ~THEJRC~
    I\'ll preach my pessimism right out loud to anyone that listens!
    I\'m not afraid to be alive.... I\'m afraid to be alone.

crypt:

adding another nic as in Red interface or adding a DMZ?
    ~THEJRC~
    I\'ll preach my pessimism right out loud to anyone that listens!
    I\'m not afraid to be alive.... I\'m afraid to be alone.

red interface, and i might be adding another one as a DMZ

Yeah look smart and well presented nice one thanks for the link