Thread: Nmap troubles

Question Nmap troubles

I've been trying to get nmap up and running on my red hat 7.2 box and it works fine if I use a loop back or my own ip but as soon as I try to scan the computer on my LAN I get this message.

[root@localhost root]# nmap -v -sS -O 192.168.0.1

Starting nmap V. 2.54BETA31 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
    Failed to lookup device subnet/netmask: eth0: no IPv4 address assigned
    QUITTING!

The windows xp box witch I'm trying to scan is also set up for Internet connection sharing witch leaves my linux box with a address of 192.168.0.2. Every thing seems to be set up correctly so I'm wondering if its 192.168.*.* address that are causing the problem or do I need to some how configure nmap. Attached is a screen shot of my NIC settings just in case that helps.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

hm seem to be having trouble posting the screen shot.

any ways network configuration looks like this

Status Device Nickname Type
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Active eth0:1 eth0 Ethernet

the ip is static and uses these numbers like this

Address: 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway Address: 192.168.0.1

And other then nmap everything else is working fine.

I hate to state the obvious, but why are you trying to scan a machine with a .0 IP Address?
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

Try using the

-S your ip address
    or
    -e an interface which has an ipv4 address

Perhaps eth0 does as it suggests not have an ipv4 address, perhaps you only have eth1 bound.

SoggyBottom: It's not a .0 address it just has a .0 in it. Seems like a reasonable enough address to portscan to me.

My hunch is nmap might not get along with private addresses. Guess I'll have to set up some normal ip's and test this.

http://www.mscs.mu.edu/~doug/spectra...specialip.html <-- more on private ip's and other ip stuff for anyone interested.

My hunch is nmap might not get along with private addresses
    I'm not that up on NMAP like some here are, but I don't think that's it. I use NMAP on my private addresses from time to time with no trouble.

I think Rewandythal is probably the resident NMAP expert if you can catch him in IRC or something.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

er0k
    cwk9 >> make sure you dont have dhcp set up while you try to give them static addresses. that could cause conflicts. it was a problem at my school's sparc boxes, whom were trying to dhcp internals, and already had static addresses. Rewandythal wont be on AO irc or the site i can tell you that much, he hangs at irc.netstat.org under the name of stormhawk... he is indeed an nmap expert. try there if i was wrong.