SAMBA config?

Thread: SAMBA config?

SAMBA config?

Hi all,

I have a Red Hat server functioning as my web and file server on my home network.

I have configured SAMBA and use it all the time as my file server.

What I can't figure out is how to get the linux box to connect to a M$ share.

I have a M$ NTFS share that I'd like to access via the linux box.

I use the same usernames and passwords on both of the boxes.

I know that I can just browse from my M$ box to the linux box and place the file(s) over that I want to use on the linux box, but I want to know if there is an easier way.

Command line (M$), I know how to attach to a remote drive with net use u: \\server\share

what would be the linux equivalent?

So far, all I've been able to find via google is how to configure linux as a file server using samba with no mention of connecting a linux box to a M$ share.

As always... thanks in advance!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

mount -t smbfs //windowsbox/windowsshare /mnt/yourmountpoint -o guest.
    The guest bit is so samba doesnt ask you for a password which it will by default even if there is no password set on the share.

Dunno if owensleftfoot command works, but I use

smbmount //windowsbox/sharename /mnt/yourmountpoint -o username=yourusername,workgroup=yourworkgroup

Will prompt for the password.

Note if you're using a domain user, the workgroup bit needs to be set to the domain name (failure to do this will stop it from working)

smbmount is a bit tricky, I have had some problems in the past, like only seeing the first character of each filename. It works ok with a windows 95 box here, and I've had it work on NT4 /Win2k servers too. Be sure to unmount the share when you've finished with it, it seems easy to make it un-unmountable if the windows box becomes unavailable while it's mounted.

post your smb.conf file pls so we can see what it looks like.

Posting your smb.conf file is a huge security breach. Don't do it.
    Atlanta, GA