Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: US not only "Big Brother(ed)" Country - Canada Also

Maranda deals with many points of the constitution when dealing with the police. I am a Roman Catholic and i'm not sure of my churches stand on maranda, but since I disagree with the Church on many occasions (they call me a "cafeteria Catholic") I'm don't really care what they say.

On a sidenote, but not totally unrelated....

WASHINGTON -- The government agreed to tell the American Civil Liberties Union by Jan. 15 which documents it would release about increased surveillance in the United States under a law passed in response to the terrorist attacks.

In response to a suit brought by the ACLU and other groups, the Justice Department also said it would supply a list of documents that it would keep confidential, citing national security concerns. The ACLU could challenge the decision to withhold any documents.

The agreement was reached Tuesday before U.S. District Judge Ellen Segal Huvelle, who is hearing the case growing out of an Aug. 21 request filed under the Freedom of Information Act.

The civil liberties group wants to know how the government is carrying out the USA Patriot Act, passed in response to Sept. 11. The new law gives the government new powers to obtain personal information about U.S. citizens in an attempt to stop future terrorist attacks.

The ACLU asked the Justice Department for the number of times it has asked libraries or bookstores for lists of purchases or for the identities of those who have bought certain books; how many times law enforcement officials have entered people's homes without letting them know until later; how many times they have approved phone traces of people not accused of any crimes; and how many times they have investigated Americans for writing letters to newspapers, attending rallies or other First Amendment-protected activities.
    Chalk one up for the ACLU, entire article here.
    \"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.\" -- Dom Helder Camara

im afraid that the aclu lost anyway, under the homeland security act this information is no longer covered under the freedom of information act. so after bush signed it into law this week they can with hold any information they want. looks like the courts were just keeping them busy while they did their dirty work
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”