How to write TSRs using DevC++ .. pls help ???

Thread: How to write TSRs using DevC++ .. pls help ???

Unhappy How to write TSRs using DevC++ .. pls help ???

Hello friends i am trying to write a TSR program using DevC++ compiler but dont know how to start.. i have written the same using Turbo C++ compiler but can anybody pls tell me how can i start or any sample code.

Thanks in advance.
    A laptop, internet connection and beer.

Does it make 32bit code?

If so then you probably can't (easily).

To the best of my knowledge, TSRs cannot use dos extenders. The memory requirements would be unreasonable *and* it will probably bugger the memory model up (possibly the Novell 32bit dos client does, but that probably has its own mini-os in)

TSRs evidently can use extended memory though.

Like Slarty said your code that you wrote in turbo c++ won't work (16bit vs 32bit). What you need to do is write it all again in dev-c++. There is a way to hide your program from the task list if that's what your trying to do but I'm not a good enough c++ programmer to tell you how to do it. If nobody here can answer your question you should check out the boards at www.cprogramming.com, good luck.

-gunder

gunder what do you mean "hide your program from the task list" - this is DOS, right?

Unless I'm very much mistaken, TSR (terminate and stay resident) is something that only applies to DOS.

Under other operating systems, programs cannot terminate and stay resident, however they can usually keep running and stay resident (thanks to multitasking), which is even better.

Thanks for the info ,
    but how to write it in DevC++ and slarty u are telling that TSRs are only possible in
    DOS then what about lets take an example of a pop client , when we start that
    it keeps on running and checks for new mails at the pop server and the moment
    it finds some immediately it notifies .. that new mail has arrived , also how keyloggers
    work than ?? those are also TSRs which keep on running and these keylogger
    are not coded in TurboC++ but either in VC ++ or some other compiler.. which
    runs on windows .. so i am looking for that type..

pls help me anybody..

thanks

You don't need to make a TSR in in windows. It's multi-tasking, and handles many programs concurrently - no hassle. So just forget about TSR, it's not used in windows. The keyloggers and mail clients you're talking about are ordinary programs, no steps need to be taken.
    ---
    proactive

Originally posted here by proactive
    You don't need to make a TSR in in windows. It's multi-tasking, and handles many programs concurrently - no hassle. So just forget about TSR, it's not used in windows. The keyloggers and mail clients you're talking about are ordinary programs, no steps need to be taken.
    hey proactive thanks for the info , even one of my university teacher also told me that windows don't use TSRs but its multitasking , but i want to learn how to write programs which implement multitasking, can u pls help me with some info or any links of tutorials or sample code.. which i can study and learn multitasking ,,, any sample program will help me ....

thanks a lot

If you're talking high level Windows programming, you should look into threads and multithreading. Threads can perform different tasks at the same time (concurrently). Use the Win32 API to create threads, the function is called CreateThread(...), I don't remember the parameters. Here's an example for you: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ng_threads.asp
    Watch out, because threads use the same memory space, and can access the same variables. If they do that at the same time you'll get in trouble. So you might look into Mutex, which is the tool to handle this problem.

Good luck!
    ---
    proactive