Thread: Issues with BlackIce

Question Issues with BlackIce

I hope I can post this so it actually makes sense. I am having a problem with BlackIce on my development server. My dev server is running win2k pro, and is a little short on memory (256). Now it would appear that I have some weird kind of memory leak because about every 3 days or so I get an error message from BlackIce saying something like "Memory can't be read......". The box basically goes south on me and has to be rebooted.

I check with the vendors 'knowledge base', and they said there are some problems with BlackIce running on machines with limited memory and to resolve the problem, the following line should be inserted into the blackice.ini file on the box with the problem.

Insert: tcp.maxconnections=5000

Now, this is where the problem is, I go to edit the file (blackice.ini) and it fails, file is read-only. I go in and change the permissions, giving the admin account full control of the file (the whole directory for that mater) and try it again, it fails, file is read only. I get to a command prompt. check the Attrib values and make sure they are all removed. I make sure blackice isn't running by killing the service and try the edit again, it still fails, file is still read-only.

My question is, what the heck am I missing. How do I get this file out of it's 'read-only' mode.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Cheers:
    DjM

You could try booting up in safe mode and changing the RO attribute with the attrib command.
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

You could also create your own .ini file copy all the contents over from the blackice.ini, add your line then rename it to blackice.ini and replace the original. I know seems like a lot of trouble, but hey if it works it works.
    <chsh> I've read more interesting technical discussion on the wall of a public bathroom than I have at AO at times

Originally posted here by mmelby
    You could try booting up in safe mode and changing the RO attribute with the attrib command.
    Thanks mmelby, I tried that and it didn't work, there are no attributes associated with the file, but it is still read-only.

Originally posted here by Darksnake
    You could also create your own .ini file copy all the contents over from the blackice.ini, add your line then rename it to blackice.ini and replace the original. I know seems like a lot of trouble, but hey if it works it works.
    Thanks Dark, tried that too, and it won't let me rename the file. I can't delete it either.

I'm not sure what I have missed, anymore ideas gang?

Thanks
    DjM

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    It's quite possible that you are not the owner of the file..... Blackice may be.... This can keep even Administrator out of files in Win2k.

Go to Windows Explorer and find the file, right click - Properties - Security - Advanced - Ownership and change the owner to yourself.

You should then be able to do anything with the file you want......

This has been a problem for me in the past.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    It's quite possible that you are not the owner of the file..... Blackice may be.... This can keep even Administrator out of files in Win2k.

Go to Windows Explorer and find the file, right click - Properties - Security - Advanced - Ownership and change the owner to yourself.

You should then be able to do anything with the file you want......

This has been a problem for me in the past.....

Nice idea Tiger, but no luck I go into to edit the file and it will only open in a read-only mode. This is making me nuts! Thanks anyways.
    DjM

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Have you tried changing attributes etc on it now you are the owner?
    Can you copy over it or rename it now?
    Can you copy it and delete it now?

Basically - Has anything changed that you tried before?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Nope, I am still having this same problems. I have removed any and all attributes. I can copy the file to a new directory and make changes to it there but when I try to copy it back "Access Denied". When I try and delete it "Access Denied". Now, having said this, I have a hunch I might be able to get it done in Safe Mode now. I'm going to reboot my server now.

Cheers:

That's what I love about this place. Even if you don't get the right answer to your question right off the bat, bouncing different ideas off of various people will often lead you to the answer. My problem is solved and thanks for all the help guys/gals.

Cheers:
    DjM

check the security to the directories as you did with the file.