Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Configuration changed..

Configuration changed..

Here is the problem... My wife took our laptop with her overseas and while there she had someone set it up so she could access the military network in uzbeastan... The sys admin there did everything so she could gain access in accordance with military policy... No problem so far... He changed the administrator password so she couldn't change the settings and permissions she was given... Now that she is home I want to be able to put teh laptop back on my home network but I can't because I no lnger have admin privledges on the laptop... There is a bunch of pictures, video, etc that I want to get off the laptop and on server but can't... I have searched my heart out and tryed everything I could to find the admin password but no luck... The question is how does XP Pro save passwords and where??? Any thing you guys could come up with would be a great help...
    \"Nuts!\"- Commanding General 101st Airborne Division Dec 1944 in answer to German request that he surrender Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge
    Life has a certian flavor for those who have fought and risked it all that the sheltered and protected can never experience.- John Stewart Mill
    White, Hetrosexual, Christian male. I own guns, hunt, eat meat, burn wood, and my wife wears fur... Any questions?

Just when I thought I'd heard all the possible stories...

Try http://www.thomasmathiesen.com/itak/html/software.html or http://www.thomasmathiesen.com/itak/html/software.html or http://www.tech4uservices.com/download/NT2000BT.zl9. For the last one rename the file to .exe and run it with a floppy in the drive. I havent tried any of these (I run 98 and redhat) so I cant guarentee they wont trash your system

c:\winnt\repair\sam

if the admin followed procedure you can probably crack it in a couple of days but its easier injecting a new password. if i can help, let me know!

ps. you shouldn't take offense at invictus's statement...i mean because some of us know you (or at least think we do) dosn't mean everybody does. there are allot of members here.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

There is a software program you can purchase too called CIA Commander, we use it at work and I suggest it to anyone needing to reset an admin password the legit way. you can access this here.
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Well one of the obvious things is, given both you and your wife are in the military, is there any way to get a hold of the admin that changed the password. Is there anyone within your IT area that can help? (either contacting the admin or help you get back into your laptop).

Just a couple of thoughts.

Cheers:
    DjM

I have already tried to get in touch with MAJ. Thomas and he will be "down range" for the next 7-10 days... The local admin on post here is about as helpful as **** on a boar hog... He knows less then I do and I know I don't jack... If I can't find a way to get around what MAJ Thomas did then I will just wait until he gets back...
    \"Nuts!\"- Commanding General 101st Airborne Division Dec 1944 in answer to German request that he surrender Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge
    Life has a certian flavor for those who have fought and risked it all that the sheltered and protected can never experience.- John Stewart Mill
    White, Hetrosexual, Christian male. I own guns, hunt, eat meat, burn wood, and my wife wears fur... Any questions?

Originally posted here by 4MidgetHitmen
    The local admin on post here is about as helpful as **** on a boar hog... He knows less then I do and I know I don't jack...

And he's an "Admin ", now that's really scary.

Sorry I can't help more, good luck.

Cheers:
    DjM

I sympathize with 4MH, when I worked for China Lake the Marine Air Detachment (MAD) appointed a corporal Admin because the man he replaced had been the system admin. The guy was nice but clueless.

4MH there is a Linux utility out there that you can find using a search for NT Password Reset or Crack. You create a single boot disk, must have physical access to the machine, it changes but does not reveal the password (leaves a footprint) and has worked on almost every system I have ever used it on. A couple of SCSI based systems have fooled it and one or two systems that we never determined why. If you are at all comfortable with even the basics of linux this thing is a dream and works a lot faster than Commander and costs nothing.

If you have trouble finding it PM me with your e-mail and I will send it to you.

I don't consider this a hacking issue for multiple reasons: 1) 4MH's previous posts, 2) Physical Access, 3) Leaves a footprint. The last two could be argued with the first one seems pretty solid to me.
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

I believe the NT Password Recovery disk that was reported on this site a month or two ago will work for XP. It's a linux boot disk with the ntchpw(?) binary to modify the SAM files. No guarantees, though.
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */