Gcc not working

Thread: Gcc not working

Gcc not working

I just got a shell account from a friend and have found that GCC is not working. I talked to him and it is not working as well for him even under root account. He has been doing some looking and seems to think that the problem is within .bash_profile but we are not sure.

This is what I get when i try to ./configure something:

checking for gcc.....no
    checking for cc...no
    checking for cc...no
    checking for cl... no
    configure:error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

anyone know what we can do to get gcc working again?

I dont mean to state the obvious but it sounds as if gcc isnt installed . You dont say what version of linux (I assume its linux ) but if its an rpm based distro you can check with the command "rpm -qa |grep gcc" (without the quotes)

Sorry forgot to mention. It is red hat 7.3 and gcc is installed. He compiled BitchX with it and now it does not work. He thinks the problem may have started when he was setting up an irc server.

I had him run that command and it took it but did not show it doing anything or it did not say anything

"I had him run that command and it took it but did not show it doing anything or it did not say anything"

If you mean it paused for a couple of seconds and then came back to a command prompt it sounds like gcc is not installed. rpm -qa lists all the packages installed. grep gcc just searches the output of that command for gcc. Just because it was once installed doesnt mean it is now

it must have gotten uninstalled somehow then from the time that he compiled bitchx and i tried to compile something. That is what it did. so i will just tell him to reinstall then.

Thanks