networking question

Thread: networking question

networking question

i know this isn't the right forum to post this but i don't know where else to ask. I was asked how to implement a common schema and global catalog when creating a Windows 2000 forest. There are 5 domains in this forest. How will i implement DHCP in this forest?
    \"It isn\'t till you lost everything that you are free to do anything.\"
    --tyler dirden

You can Implement the DHCP off the scope of each subnet you have, and trusted connected scopes between servers, firewalls. A rather geneeral question not knowing the firewall, but in general get the TCP/IP legs and firewall talking, you know what you have but all I can say is there has to be a DC, and since you have an ISP you are second and the other 5 3rd in the leg. Hope the general advice is ok....cause you gave a very big scope
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Regarding the "common schema and global catalog" part of your Q:

By definition, all domains in a Forest share a common schema and a common global catalog. So... if you have 5 domains in one Forest, your schema and GC are already there! Enjoy!!

vegaswolves
    Put down the mouse......Step away from the keyboard!
    --Me

lemme clear up the situation. there are 5 existing domains. they are not connected to eachother. now how would you merge these domains; merging the schema and global catalog. they're gonna be on the same subnet....so how would you configure dhcp? any feedback is appreciated. thanx.
    \"It isn\'t till you lost everything that you are free to do anything.\"
    --tyler dirden

This question is going to require a book to answer it. I strongly recommend "Active Directory Services for Windows 2000 Technical Reference" by David Iseminger. It will go into great detail as to how you should plan your DNS rollout and how to setup the 5 FSMO role holders to adequately house your network and future expansions. Ultimately you are going to have to have one Central Schema and one central GC. AD (Active Directory) wont allow for multiple roll holders of these accounts. You are going to have to setup up trust relationships between each of the domains. May I recommend you plan this out on paper before you go doing this for sure. If need be I can point out more on this should you need the help but as I said This process is not a small one and shouldnt be taken lightly

good luck
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Definitely agree with Spyrus! Start with paper and pencil. There is a 2 day MOC course, number 2010, on Designing a Migration Strategy from NT 4 to Windows 2000 Active Directory. Very good course IMHO. You use tools to migrate accounts from NT to Active Directory.

Check out Technet online, as they have whitepapers and case studies re: Migration from NT domains to AD.

As far as trusts are concerned; all domains in the Forest are connected via two-way, transitive trusts that are created as you create each domain. IOW, each child domain automatically has the trusts created between it and it's parent. Each Tree Root domain automatically has the trusts created between it and the Forest Root domain.
    Put down the mouse......Step away from the keyboard!
    --Me

so wait, is each domain the only one in its tree? leaving you with one forest, five trees, and five domains? regardless, it probably won't make any difference, but if you're just jumping straight from domains to forests, you've got to make sure you include the step of making trees.
    i will shoot you so hard.