Thread: nbtstat in WinXP & pop-ups

Talking nbtstat in WinXP & pop-ups

Hi,

Just two questions:

1) I have 3 PC's, one with WinXP, one with WinME and one with Win98. The thing is that when I use nbtstat -A + an IP address from the 2 PC's with WinME and Win98 it finds the NetBIOS name of the PC I had just put its IP address, so all is OK with this, but when I use nbtstat -A from the PC with WinXP it always says "Host not found" and never, but really never, finds nothing. I had already activated the NetBios on TCP/IP option in the Internet options but still nothing happens. What could it be?

2) Since a few days ago when I conect to the Internet, 5 or 10 minutes later two pop-ups windows always appear. I had used Norton Systemworks 2003 and monitored them, I had looked at my Windows registry and I had done everything i know to find why these windows still pop-up every time i conect to the internet. What could i do to find and delete them?

Thanks in advance guys,

-DaRK-RaiDeR-

Where to start:

Ok for the problem with using nbtstat -A (IP address) : are you using a local address 192.168.0.x ? Are you sure you are using the right address.

What I would try is nbtstat -a (computer name) and see if that works any better. Also run an Ipconfig on the 98 and ME boxes to make sure you have the right local address. If that does not work then try start run and type out \\computername and see if that will work. You may have to edit the host file possibly.

For the problem with the pop up add I would delete all temp file, cookies and then run adaware on the computer and remove any spyware detected.

hope this helps
    Violence breeds violence
    we need a world court
    not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware lecturing us on world security!

Talking Still need help with problem #1...

I had the 3 Pc's conected in my own home LAN and when I use nbtstat -A 192.168.0.x all is ok, no matter with PC I use. Sorry if I didn't explain myself in my first post but the thing is that the nbtstat command doesn't work from my WinXP PC when I try to search IP addresses not over my own LAN but on the Internet. I have ADSL conection to Internet, obviously each PC is assigned with a different IP address each time I conect to the Internet, so to test I used nbtstat -A from WinME and Win98 using the IP addresses my PC's had in that moment and everything is OK, but not from WinXP. I had called some close friends when they are conected to the Internet to give me their IP addresses to test this problem, then I type nbtstat -A (IP address of my friend) but it still says "Host not found". I tried nbtstat -A from WinME and Win98 with the IP addresses of my friends and all's OK, it finds their NetBIOS names, but not with my WinXP PC. Again, what could it be?

Thanks for your help with problem #2, i'll try and see...

-DaRK-RaiDeR-