Thread: nbtstat in my WinXP...

Talking nbtstat in my WinXP...

Hello again,

I had 3 Pc's conected in my own home LAN and when I use nbtstat -A 192.168.0.x all is ok, no matter with PC I use, the command always see the LAN. Sorry if I didn't explain myself in my first post but the thing is that the nbtstat command doesn't work from my WinXP PC when I try to search IP addresses not over my own LAN but on the Internet. I have ADSL conection to Internet, obviously each PC is assigned with a different IP address each time I conect to the Internet, so to test this I used nbtstat -A from WinME and Win98 using the IP addresses my PC's had in that moment and everything is OK, but not from WinXP. I had called some close friends when they are conected to the Internet to give me their IP addresses to test this problem, then I type nbtstat -A (and the IP address of my friend) but it still says "Host not found". I tried nbtstat -A from WinME and Win98 with the IP addresses of my friends and all's OK, it finds their NetBIOS names, but not with my WinXP PC. What could it be?

Thanks in advance,

-DaRK-RaiDeR-

Do you have a firewall installed? If so then that could cause the problem, check it out. Thats the only thing i can think of why it wouldnt find the host, considering that your other computers find them. XP has a built in firewall, could be that as well.
    <chsh> I've read more interesting technical discussion on the wall of a public bathroom than I have at AO at times

Talking Thanks, that worked!!!

Thank you for helping me solving the problem!!! It was the WinXP personal firewall that was protecting my PC and closing the nbtstat command.

-DaRK-RaiDeR-

Talking My mistake, the error's still there...

Darksnake,

I told you the problem was solved because when i deactivated the XP firewall instantly tried the nbtstat command with the IP of my Windows ME PC (not the one of the local lan but the one that the ISP gave it) and it worked, so, without waiting, i wrote you telling that all was OK, but then i tested it with some firends IP's and... nothing... "host not found", so i tested again with a lot of IP's (that i know they work) and nothing, it only worked with my Windows ME & 98 PC's... a little rare. So, thanks for your help... but i still got the problem...

-DaRK-RaiDeR-