What would Jesus drive?

View Poll Results: What is your favorite colour?

5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Red

0 0%
  • Blue

1 20.00%
  • Yellow

0 0%
  • Green

1 20.00%
  • Sky-blue pink with yellow spots

0 0%
  • Dont Vote Here!!

3 60.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would Jesus drive?

What would Jesus drive?

It's an unusual question, admits the Rev. Dan Smith, who carried a sign with the eye-catching challenge at an anti-SUV rally outside an auto dealership in the spring.
    "Many Christians have this phrase that is meaningful for them, 'What would Jesus do?'" says Smith, an associate minister at Hancock United Church of Christ in Lexington, Mass.

"It's something that I think is provocative. So my intention was to be provocative. Hopefully it would make people think before making this decision."

He says his parishioners have been receptive.

"I haven't heard any negative feedback," he notes.

Smith is part of a steadily growing convergence of religion and environmentalism in America.

Many spiritual leaders say that environmental issues are receiving more attention than ever among their colleagues and congregations.

"I've been watching this for 10 or 12 years, and suddenly this year it's as if this has come alive," says Bill McKibbon, a fellow at Harvard Divinity School's Center for the Study of Values in Public Life, and author of The End of Nature.

"I think a lot more people of faith are involved in this now," agrees Kim Winchell, a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America and the director of the Michigan Interfaith Coalition for Creation, an environmental group.

Some involved in religious environmentalism are politically active, writing letters to the president and protesting outside the Department of Energy. Others are preaching the message of conservation to their parishioners or installing solar panels on their churches.

In recent months, the National Conference of Catholic Bishops has passed a resolution calling on the United States to address climate change, and a broad coalition of mainstream religious groups, including the African Methodist Episcopal Church, American Baptist Churches USA and others, issued a call for energy conservation and "climate justice."

"These are not just the usual suspects," insists the Rev. Fred Small of First Church Unitarian in Littleton, Mass. He says the movement has spread well beyond traditionally liberal religious denominations.
    Entire article on ABC.
    \"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.\" -- Dom Helder Camara

Jesus would walk...

But, then that really isn't an option for me in order to get from PA to WI, and don't think that public transportation is a viable option either, it would cost me more than $100 more to take the train instead of driving (and that is only oneway)... And being a poor college student, I don't have the money...

But I don't use my car when I'm here, I turn it over on occassion in order to assure myself that it still starts...

I think that is the best use of that WWJD slogan that I have ever seen. Personally I really dislike it, as a marketing tool it is great, as a motto to live by, I think it sucks balls. How in hell would you know what Jesus you do?

Screw dealing with what Jesus would do, do what is right...

I despise SUV's, I also despise the decreased marketing of the gas/electric hybrids... And the fact that people were so stupid as to buy huge vehicles and then complain that the gas prices are so high.

Its rediculous, thats all that can be said. That and they are just ugly, big, aweful beast..., I would much prefer something in the small and classy sports car..., or something that was ugly as sin and went 100mpg... <sigh>

I think Leno put it best. Jesus, single guy, carpenter and most likely lives in a rural area. Bet he would drive a big pick up.
    Its not software piracy. Im just making multiple off site backups.

Re: What would Jesus drive?

Originally posted here by Mahakaal
    In recent months, the National Conference of Catholic Bishops has passed a resolution calling on the United States to address climate change, and a broad coalition of mainstream religious groups, including the African Methodist Episcopal Church, American Baptist Churches USA and others, issued a call for energy conservation and "climate justice."

I normally believe that politics and religion don't mix...BUT, I see the Church getting involved in environmental issues as a positive. Who knows, they may even convince Mr Bush to sign The Kyoto Agreement...

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Vermont, USA
    Most of the carpenters or "independent artisans" that I know drive a pickup truck or van.

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Freestate,South Africa
    The Almighty CarI think Jesus would have chosen to walk rather than having a car. He would rather see everybody else happy because a soul that is saved is worth sacrificing everything. After all He created mankind, and knew then already that the brain which mankind is equipped with would at some point in the future if utilized properly, be able to invent the automobile. So what I am trying to say is Jesus himself can be considered an automobile, which took mankind almost a lifetime to invent. He created the world in all its complexity in only seven days. If Jesus is not a great automobile then I stand to be corrected.
    Practise what you preach.

I can't even afford a car lat alone gas to put in it, but this is just rediculous. I agree with Dhej, it's one of the most retarded arguments for a protest, no one know what Jesus would have actually done. As far as marketing goes, yeah sure it'll appeal to christians, and fortunately for them the majority of the population in North America is christian, but lets just hope they don't start a trend with this, religion isn't supposed to be a marketing tool, kinda defeats the whole meaning of it, though many people miss that anyways.
    Reality is the one who has it wrong, not you

I think Jesus would have driven a volkswagon bug. He didn't care for money or power and probably would have been a rebel today as he was in his time. He said " you shal love your neighbor as yourself". "You cannot serve both God and money" you will be loyal to one and despise the other(greed ,destruction in the name of money) He did use the transportation of his time" the donkey"to travel around in. Not caring for worldly thinking and giving his life out of love he would have used a small vehicle with minimal damage to the environment. Auntie
    For hundreds of years the brain was physically capable of the thoughts of a Galelio or an Aristotle among people who had not yet learned to count to ten. Much of that equipment is still unused and waiting.

I think he'd want things very simple and he'd want gas that would take him as far as his trip would go if you've read the bible you'd notice that he often walks or rides a donkey around to other towns & countries.

Think about it....
    He could have carried around expensive and good looking horses but he sticks with walking and rideing anamals like donkeys & camels

I think the same would go with the types of vehicles he'd drive....
    Something less flashy..... Slow but gets him where he wants to go....

Jebus would definately walk. Or take a donkey. Whatever Jebus wants he can do. And if Jebus is lazy he could always fly. Jebus wouldn't fly though, it might bring to much attention. If Jebus did drive, Jebus would drive a Van. I think Jebus would walk but hed have a hard time convincing the apostles to walk with him. Jebus is da man

Alright take it ease