A HTTP proxy is usually a little gadget that filters your web browsing for advertisements or removes pop-ups. Or it could function as a gateway to the internet and buffer web pages. Anyhow, what the proxy does is receive messages from your browser, and pass them on to a web server. When the server responds, the message is passed on to the browser. Your typical middleware! Popular proxy servers are: Proxomitron (my favourite), Junkbuster(Linux) and Squid(enterprise).

This makes the perfect scenario for a networking tutorial in C++, because the proxy acts as both a client and a server. And networking is all about client/server, right?

So let's get down to business. Attached to this post is a zip which contains lots of code and a html document with the tutorial. The tutorial can also be found on my homepage. I made the poxy on my linux box, but it should compile on any windows box too. You might want to check out qmake by Trolltech because that's what I generate my makefile with. Instructions in the tutorial file...