Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ISL Routing on Cisco 2600 and Cat1900

ISL Routing on Cisco 2600 and Cat1900

Hi guys.

I am trying to setup a 1900 switch and a 2600 router with ISL routing.

I've setup the switch ports to be in the right VLANs, Configured the ISL links to be trunks, have tested comunication between hosts on the same VLAN and everything worked.

However my problem comes when setting up the router.
    I configure the sub-if's with the relevant ip address and encapsulations, turn on the main interface, but cannot ping the router from the hosts or ping the hosts from the router.

Does anyone know where I might be going wrong?

Just a guess... don't flame me if i'm wrong... tell me.

Do you have a NAT?

If that's the case, just know that NAT and encapsulation=BIG trouble
    I would check that (again i may be totally wrong).

No NAT. This is an isolated net. Not connectected to the internet. I can't even get a ping response from the sub interfaces. I think the problem is to do with the configuration of the router interface. It doesn't appear to be sending out information to the VLANs. I have a feeling that the encapsulation isn't quite configured correctly.

Need more information. What encapsulation are you using??Did you check
    your addresses?Check your vlan config.

Config as follows.
    Router:
    Interface F0/0 IP address 192.168.0.1, no shutdown.
    Interface F0/0.1 IP address 192.168.1.1, static ISL encapsulation VLAN 5
    Interface F0/0.2 IP address 192.168.2.1, static ISL encapsulation VLAN 6

Switch:
    IP address 192.168.0.2
    F0/26 (uplink to router), trunk on.
    e0/1 (host IP 192.168.1.100), vlan-mem stat 5
    e0/2 (host IP 192.168.2.100), vlan-mem stat 6

I can ping the switch from the router, and router int f0/0 from the switch.
    But when I try pining from a host to to one of the sub interfaces, I get no response.

I have a feeling that it may be a bug with the router simulation software. I'm using CCNASim from RouterSim.
    Would this config work with a real setup?

my first question would be....why are you even trying to route between your VLANs? Based on the equipment you have, it does not make sense, nor am I sure it is possible.

To be honest, I have never tried to do inter-vlan routing with a 2600 series router because in the past I have only done inter-vlan routing via an MSFC interface on a Catalyst or by using a 7500 series router. The configuration you are trying to do is commonly called "router-on-a-stick" so you may have more luck searching for that if you haven't already.

It sounds like it could perhaps be an issue with the software you are using, or the fact that I don't think a Cat 1900 supports ISL. If you do not have access to any "live" equipment to test on, I would just recommend using the Cisco Press Book for BCMSN. There are some pretty good examples in it, and to be honest, I'll bet you could learn to do it without actually ever touching live equipment. Of course this is not the prefered method, but you have to work with what you've got. But again, you will rarely (if ever) see this type of configuration in real life, so you would be better off learning how to do it with an MSFC.

hope this helps a little...

Thanks.
    I think I've managed to get it working on some other software. I've still got a couple of other issues to sort out with single switch ports not getting the right config. It appears that when I add in a second switch there is one port on the switch which has its isl config redirected to one of the FE interfaces. Those are set to trunk, and the supposed cisco software should support it.

The catalyst 1900s support up to 2 ISL trunks. and since the router supports ISL using a special IOS package (Plus feature set) the general idea should work. I am assuming that you are doing this for just enjoyment to learn VLANs and ISL? and not going to put this type of configuration into a live enviroment? If you were looking at a live enviroment, then there are easier ways at going about this. One would be configuring the F0/0 with a primary and a secondary ip address, then turning on ip route-cache same-interface.

But anyhow, if you are looking at making the ISL work, one change I would make is take the IP Address 192.168.0.1 off the Physical Interface. Just type 'no ip address'.
    And configure the switches management IP Address on say vlan 5. That might help.
    Os1LaYr5

I hear what you're saying.
    How do you change the vlan of the switch?
    Does it automatically choose the vlan to drop into.?
    I thought the management VLAN was always set to 1.

Dude, dont use software, what is wrong with the OS itself? its not hard to use, and if you dotn know how, grab a book and start reading, dont let other peoples code make life easier for you. Payce good luck...... use PPP Wait, why are you useing Trunks when your not connected to the internet? what are you doing anyway?
    Im Chris Bartholomew - 18 Years old

TSeNg
    questions? Cxbartholomew@yahoo.com