Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copyright

Copyright

Is there anyway that I can actively stop people using images from my site? I'm sure ive seen it before where copying is disabled.

Thanks
    Mama always said, keep your virus definitions up to date.

You can add in your site some java code to disable the right button of some navigators (I don't know if it can really work for another navigator than IE but it's not impossible) or even the bar with "file, edit..." but it will not really protect your pictures from anothers users than complete newbies in computer stuffs.
    You can also add some watermark to prove your copyright, but it can be bypassed easily with a picture editor.

In fact, you can't protect your pictures on your site. Don't publish them, it's the only way.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

Even if you were to do all that... put watermarks, insert right click catching code, etc.

It would be very easy for one to just press the print screen button...
    Or even to browse through their cache folders...

I don't think there is ANY way to block someone from copying a pic from your site.

If someone wanted, they could just use a web site copier to dl your whole web site, and then they could weed out what they didn't want.

Thats all I can think of at the moment.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Well that's the "problem" with digital media: you can't distribute content without it being a copy. So it's really technically impossible to prevent duplication. Look at the RIAA/MPAA effort in that way (urgh!). So you'd have to really on people's honesty and/or legal options (like the RIAA/MPAA is doing with the DMCA (urgh!).

(PS: kisscool: it's done in javascript, not java (javascrip != java), and can be easily bypassed by disabling javascript in your browser...)

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Sorry Ammo for the imprecision. I have not studied the web coding and knew only that some sites were very boring disabling all in my navigator when I used IE. But you can also bypass them if you learn the good shortcuts on your keyboard. If you disable javascript, some sites will become unusable.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

if you dont want people using them, don't post them on the internet. for a surfer to view a graphic it has to be downloaded to their computer first so its really a catch 22.

sounds to me like your buisiniss isn't adapting well to the digital age...kinda like the recording industry. its very difficult to take a system made for a free exchange of information and try to make a profit on it. maybe you should consider mail order.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I have heard about a way to encrypt the whole site that prevents people from saving anything that you don't want people to have access to. It may just be java or something, but I'll see if I can find out for you.

For apache webservers!
    If people are stealing your bandwidth, then you can disable your images apearing on other webpages. This can be done by adding a few lines into apach's .htaccess file, this can stop the image or replace it with a "different" one.

http://javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess10.shtml

Using .htaccess, you can disallow hot linking on your server, so those attempting to link to an image on your site, for example, is shown either the door (a broken image), or the lion's mouth (another image of your choice, such as a "Barbara Streisand" picture- no emails please). There is just one small catch- unlike the rest of the .htaccess functionalities we saw earlier, disabling hot linking also requires that your server supports mod_rewrite. Inquire your web host regarding this.

With all the pieces in place, here's how to disable hot linking of images on your site. Simply add the below code to your .htaccess file, and upload the file either to your root directory, or a particular subdirectory to localize the effect to just one section of your site:

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://(www\.)?mydomain.com/.*$ [NC]
    RewriteRule \.(gif|jpg)$ - [F]
    Be sure to replace "mydomain.com" with your own. The above code causes a broken image to be displayed when its hot linked.
    If you're feeling bitter, you can set things up so an alternate image is displayed in place of the hot linked one. The code for this is:

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://(www\.)?mydomain.com/.*$ [NC]
    RewriteRule \.(gif|jpg)$ http://www.mydomain.com/nasty.gif [R,L]
    Same deal- replace mydomain.com with your own, plus nasty.gif.
    However, this only works for apache!

Oh well, at least I try!

I have to say that i've tried to do the same with my website, it worked for a little and after tha i saw that people were still able to get my images. You can get a copy right that gives you the right to sue anybody that takes any part of your site designings without permission. I had my brother do that for me, and then i told everybody about the copy right and the consequences if not followed. It has been working so far, hope this helps. -Ebo

GreekGoddess
    Some other steps you can take to at least deter image theft is image overlaying, this can be done with CSS positioning, where you would position a transparent GIF over your actual image so when it is right clicked they are saving the transparent GIF instead of yours.

Here is a good link:
    http://www.angelfire.com/on3/vxdoin2/mitzu.htm