System Requirements

Thread: System Requirements

System Requirements

I have been woundering this for quite some time now. How does a software developer develop a list of Minimum system requirements. When I download software they tell me how much RAM I need, The minimum CPU speed, and other simular information.

How Can I develop a list of minimum system requirements for software I develop?
    In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~

er0k
    well you need to know what speed your program runs at, how much it caches, etc.. you may even need to test it on really slow proc's/RAM and see what it can handle. there are tools out there that will allow you to run your program to see how fast it runs, and what can handle it.. id just google around until i found something. good luck.

ele5125,

er0k is right, follow his steps and it could be a good idea to have some people testing your programs (friends), sometimes you can't or shouldn't be your own "tester" because you don't see "problems" or "little problems" in your own work, so, if you can, give the program to different friends to test it (as er0k said, better if they have different OS and processors) and ask them to, after the time you think it coulbe be enough, tell you what they think about your software. Good luck !!!

-DaRK-RaiDeR-

Thank you everone, I have a few friends who can test for me. I will look around for such a program that can put my program through the worst case analysis. I remember in eletronics we did alot of worst case senarios when designing circuits. Thanks.
    In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~

The Iceman Cometh
    When you develop a program, you should also do a thorough algorithm analysis to determine how much processing power, memory, virtual memory, etc., you need during both best case and worst case scenarios. For instace, if you are writing some sort of file cataloging system, the program will react differently to small and large inputs. For large programs, especially ones you wish to commercialize, such steps are necessary to ensure that if a user happens to hit the worst case scenario, the program doesn't die on them. Furthermore, if you do plan to make your program public, run through both Alpha and Beta tests, with a diverse group of people (other than just friends) who can give you unbiased feedback from a wide range of hardware/software platforms. Just my 2 cents.

AJ

I usualy test my software by giving it to (about 8) friends of mine, to test it on various Win-Versions and processors / graphiccard etc configs..

But usualy I just make up the minimum system requirements.. like stating it'll run on a PII 300 up while it will (tested) run on a 200...

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !