Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! Information Systems underGrad

You might want to double-check the requirements for a CISSP certification. Several years of experience were/are necessary. The "basic" requirements for qualifying to sit for the exam will change at the first of the year (from what I remember from the web site).

IMO...Obtain a basic, entry-level cert or two that covers networking basics before you tackle the more advanced certs. Network+ and INet+ (from CompTia) are excellent entry-level certs that demonstrate you have mastery of network basics (Network+) and have an understanding of the Internet core components (INet+). Hold off on the MCSE and CCNA and others until you get your feet wet in a particular industry. Why pay for these certs when you could get your employer to? Oh yeah...CompTia will offer a Security+ cert in 2003.
    \"No matter where you go,
    there you are.\"

I'm doing both the networking and the programming schoolwise. They both seem to complement each other and can't have either one without the other, so if u have the time/resouces, do both. I am. And I will know it will payoff in the longrun, cause I also do grad. level work studying Management Information Systems, and when talking/working with fellow classmates, I can tell that I am way ahead of them.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. Looking at them, there were several mixed responses but I did get some good things out of it.

First off, I looked into the CompTIA Security+ exam, from what I gather this will be great way to get a "foot in the door". Secondly, a lot of people said they would do both networking and programming. Considering my current circumstance, I might try to do both programming and networking then try to get into Grad school for InfoSec. I'm currently looking at JMU!
    Wish me luck!