dcsimg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: free internet = good internet

Originally posted here by Euclid
    I checked out the link. I like the idea . Unfortuanatly not in my area but maybe one day.
    Anyways, question. What happens if a "Evil Hacker" lives in a neighborhood where this is provided and causes mad havoc on the net. Would it be traceable to that person or just the neighborhood, or not even the neighborhood?
    Short answer would be: It would be traceable to a (forgable) MAC address. A few high-profile incidences of abuse, and how long before this type of bandwidth sharing is made illegal?? That'd be really unfortunate...
    \"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

Originally posted here by Euclid
    What happens if a "Evil Hacker" lives in a neighborhood where this is provided and causes mad havoc on the net. Would it be traceable to that person or just the neighborhood, or not even the neighborhood?
    You are as safe on the WiFi connection as you are on the internet.
    Secure your box and if you use them AP's.

Most people I know use a (stupid) security thrue obscurity way to keep their gear "safe"..

I have firewalls on all sides when I use WiFi connections, and most of the traffic I produce consists of SSH/SSL based tunnels anyway
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Apocalypse: You are right for businesses, however since this was a discussion of non-business users I did not include that aspect. As I pointed out all of the Cable/dsl/adsl connections I am familiar with have restrictions on them for non-commercial use. Lastly a T-1 connection is a guaranteed 1.544 Mbps up and down (this is total bandwidth, the data width is slightly less since T-1 uses one bit from each data packet as a sync bit). You could also offer the service with much greater bandwidth at greater cost as well (who doesn't dream of a T-3 or even OC-3 connection to their home, why? Why not).
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

Exclamation national free internet

I feel that free internet would NOT = good internet for a few reasons.

Of course, as pointed out by other members here, the security issues is fairly large.
    The point I have to share is that, if the government allows this to occur nationally you should know that your privacy online will be greatly reduced. One thing for paying for personal internet use to a privately owned company, is that there is a level of privacy kept between you and this company. A level of trust is there that as a paying customer they will not release all your information.

That being said, connecting through a free and national ISP (most likely government operated if it ever does happen) will hamper the privacy you have online. We all know that some agencies do monitor public chats (such as IRC) for certina content, just wait until they have direct access to everything you do online.

Cheers,
    Notica