Thread: Linux Server with windows 2000 Clients

Linux Server with windows 2000 Clients

well, i am going to install linux as a server on my network and i would like to add all the network users in there (linux box) the point is that all the clients are running win2k and i have no idea how to make win2k to "scan" the linux server for users etc
    does anyone have an idea? btw: i dont want to use Novell e-directory .
    thanks in advance
    I don\'t wanna grow up change my skateboard for a tie

I was never able to give my w2k system access to linux but I could give my linux box access to the w2k systems. I did this via a mount it was something to the effect of mount -dos <some parameters I no longer remember>. That might not be what your looking for but I hope it helps.

Cheers,
    -D

PS I think exceed will let you start xWin apps via a 2k machine
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

Tell us what services you plan to run on the Linux box or we're not really going to be able to help you. Can I assume you are refering to SMB?
    \"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

Do you or do you not have Windows 2k domain controllers? If not, then it's going to be a little tricky. AFAIK, you can make Linux behave as a win2k DC, but only with some serious caveats. It cannot replicate with other win2k DCs, some functions may be unavailable.

If you have win2k DCs, then you can make samba under linux be a member server and authenticate Win2k users against their domain passwords (which usually means they are let in without re-entering their password if they are already logged on the domain). This works really well. You still have to create users on the Linux box, but they don't need Linux passwords.

You can also use pam_smb or something to provide authentication for other services on the Linux box against Windows domain passwords. Again they still need a Linux user, but not a separate Linux password.