sperm smuggling?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sperm smuggling?

sperm smuggling?

Mobster, wife indicted in sperm smuggling

http://www.salon.com/mwt/wire/2002/1...ter/index.html

Dec. 4, 2002 | Williamsport, Pa. –

One of five New York mobsters believed to have smuggled their sperm out of a Pennsylvania prison to impregnate their wives has been indicted, along with his wife, on a charge of criminal conspiracy.

Kevin Granato, a convicted hit man for the Colombo crime family, came under suspicion four years ago after he was seen in the visitation room at the Allenwood Federal Prison showing off a toddler he called his child, even though he had been in jail since 1988.

Last week, a federal grand jury indicted Granato, 42, and his wife, Regina Granato, on two counts of criminal conspiracy. Regina Granato, who lives in New York, is also charged with one count of providing a prohibited object -- a cryogenic sperm kit -- to an inmate.

The indictments are the 13th and 14th since October 2000 related to alleged smuggling schemes at the prison. Among those indicted were four guards who pleaded guilty; two were accused of accepting bribes to smuggle the sperm kits.

Prosecutors said Regina Granato conspired to sneak a kit in and out of the prison, then was artificially inseminated.

She could get up to six years in prison if convicted. Kevin Granato, whose current sentence runs until 2012, could get an additional 35 years. He is serving sentences for racketeering and murder.

Can anyone tell me why this is wrong? Have we the authority or the right to decide who can procreate and who cannot?

Obviously smuggling contraband into a prison is against the law but it seems that the practice not the objects are in question here. Why is this kit considered contraband and should it be allowed?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

After reading this several times, and thinking as deeply as my limited education in Constitutional Law and Criminal Justice can manage, i can only come up with one fact that is certain: The "state" would not want me on the jury on this one, but i sure would like to be!

Thats both bizare and just plain messed up. I can understand the concern over smuggling, but like Tedob1 said, who are we to say who can and cant have a child? And to make matters worse they want to put the mother away and leave the child in the foster care system. It might just be my oppinion, but it seems like it only makes things worse, because then we have one extra inmate for the tax payers to support, and a child separated from both their parents.

I have worked in the corrections field and have spent considerable time inside the walls of several secure facilities. At first glance I thought this probably did not have anything to do with the sperm I was drawn to the 4 guards that were indicted. I decided to dig a little deeper before I made any comments and my initial gut reaction still holds true.

This is about introducing contraband into a secure facility and made the press because it involved a mobster (high profile) and sex. The introduction of contraband into a secure facility in my state is a very serious offense.

Have we the authority or the right to decide who can procreate and who cannot?
    Many states do have laws against physical contact with people in prison. I spent some time reading the PA DOC policies and laws that were available and that appears to be the case here as well. Inmates can touch their vistor for a brief hug at the start and end of a visit. This visit itself is monitored by correctional staff for the entire duration. A strange part of the policy is that an inmate has to be wearing underwear under their uniform when having a visit and if not the visit will be cancelled. I mention that only because I am intrigued by that requirement.

There is more contact allowed with smaller children of the inmates such as being able to sit on their lap, but the only other physical contact I found that was allowed was if an inmate is married while in a PA prison. At the conclusion of the wedding ceremony the inmate is allowed a "brief kiss".

Again I really believe this revolves around the contraband issue which is a very big problem in secure facilities. A visitor to a PA facility must pass through a metal detector, is not allowed to wear any "outer clothing" (coats etc), is not allowed to bring in cash (except for coins for the vending machines..paper currency is contraband in every prison I have dealt with), and has to carry any allowable items in a clear bag.

With all of the restrictions in place that means the kit was introduced by correctional officers looking the other way or participating in the introduction of the contraband, which is something that can not be tolerated and is the real story. Even if the kit was keystered in order to pass through security it could not have been retrieved without the knowledge of some correctional staff based on the strict visitation policies. The fact that it was sperm or a mobster is the small part of this story.

There is a reason for such strict control of what is allowed into a prison setting, if the officer could be bribed to look the other way for a sperm kit, he' owned and next time it would be a gun or a knife. How about dope or tobacco? Once you cross that line you are owned and you can only get in deeper and the inmates know it.

The PA DOC policies I looked at are here:
    http://www.cor.state.pa.us/policy.html

And PA law I looked at is here: (Titles 18 and 61)
    http://members.aol.com/StatutesPA/Index.html

[Edit]

I do not agree with the woman being treated so harshly, I do think the 4 guards should be punished to the full extent of the law.
    If you receive something that says \'Send this to everyone you know,\' pretend you don\'t know me.

.....oh wow, you have to be married just for a kiss??????? this scares me, badly...no wonder they say never pick the soap up...them guys prolly havnt touched there g/fs and or wives in years cept for a tease...i mean hug. thats just sadistick!..and only the kidsare aloud to sit on the laps? what if there in there for being a child molestor? (as far as im concerned they should get the chair for that one but i dont run this country) thats just totally messin with me though cause thats odd!.

magnoon why is it considered contraband is the question

Obviously smuggling contraband into a prison is against the law but it seems that the practice not the objects are in question here. Why is this kit considered contraband and should it be allowed?

i tend to think that legal means might have been tried first, but maybe im wrong.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Tedob1

Why is this kit considered contraband and should it be allowed?
    I caught that part of your question and just did not answer it well enough. I of course can not speak for the PA DOC, but rather from my own experiences in my state. I have tried to find more information on this case, but all I have seen is the same story which lacks detail. I'll answer the contraband part first and then move on to the second portion of your question.

First I think that what the contraband was is irrelevent, the fact that it is contraband and the fact that prison staff were involved in getting it inside is the issue. Each prison has a list of what materials an inmate is allowed to have and anything that is not on that list is contraband period. A lot of thought goes into the lists of allowed material and it can be difficult for people to understand how dangerous common materials can be. An inmate can have 1 toothbrush for example which is inventoried on a regular basis. What's the big deal with a toothbrush? I have seen at least 5 different toothbrushes that have been turned into lethal weapons by an inmate. How about a plain old Hefty 20 gallon garbage sack, what could you do with that? First assumption most people would make is that you could put it over someone's head and suffocate them. Nope that takes too long and you would probably get caught. How about making a shiv out of it so you can stab someone quickly - a much better idea. Melt it some, shape it, fold it, melt it some more and before long you have a shiv capable of plunging into someone. I saw the aftermath of a riot in max where people were killed and bullet proof glass was melted because a guard got careless and an inmate got access to a large quantity of coffee creamer. Coffee Creamer is highly combustible and makes a dandy blow torch if you know what you are doing. Ignition, just spark it with the foil from a stick of chewing gum The point is that everyday items can be used for deadly purposes and I have no idea what that "sperm kit" contained that could have been used for other purposes. Even if there was NO danger it was not on the allowed list, it was smuggled in with the help of guards. The guards were compromised which could lead to safety issues for other inmates and staff.

Should it be allowed? I really don't see the harm in having a child in this manner if that is what the parents want to do, but I am not in a position in my state to make policy decisions like this. There are procedures in place in my state to request items in that are not on the list. First off the inmate should send a kite to a CO to go to the warden making the request. At the same time his wife could be petitioning the appropriate Department with her request. In my state every request is considered, it may be turned down, but it is considered and in a case like this I would bet that our legal staff would be consulted and more than likely the Atty. General as well. I would also assume that if the DOC denied that request an appeal would be filed and the issue would more than likely end up in court for a decision. The article does not mention if this process had been attempted and failed and this was a last resort. Felons loose many rights and freedoms while they are in prison, remember they are being punished for crimes and have been found guilty in a court of law and/or a jury of their peers.

The closest case I can think of (and it is really not that close) is an inmate that wanted to have a sex change while he was in prison. He sent a kite through the proper channels, it went to our legal staff and it went to the ATTY. General before a decision of no was made. Again I cannot speak for PA, but here I believe that the same consideration would be given to the inmate that wanted to artifically inseminate his wife. I have no idea what the answer would be, imagine the ACLU would get involved and it would take time to reach a decision, but it would be seriously considered.
    If you receive something that says \'Send this to everyone you know,\' pretend you don\'t know me.

Tedob,I think if I was in a similar situation I would also try my best to foresee that my name is carried forward into the next generation.We always hear about all the bad things that happen in prisons so who knows how long you would last in a place like that.Being a mobster complicates it even further.I personally don't see anything wrong with that, assosiated with the mob or not, it is only human and I think we have a basic right as humans to be able to have children.

regards
    vanman
    Practise what you preach.

[/quote]Being a mobster complicates it even further.I personally don't see anything wrong with that, assosiated with the mob or not, it is only human and I think we have a basic right as humans to be able to have children.
    [/quote]

I thinks vanman is right..when they were born ..don't choose being mobster or bad guys(or even good guys).,,they still have dreams..sweet dreams to have their next generation( of course they don't wanna their children ..be mobster like their parents<<<I bet they will telling this to their kids).

Nothing wrong to have kids..even they mobster ..but

It's really scarry this news..

ups I typed wrong quote..LOL..sorry
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!

A lesson to all. If your ever arrested for racketeering, make sure you visit the sperm bank while your still out on bail. :-)

Seriously though, should the woman be deprived of children because her husband has been convicted for his crimes. Being in prison may mean lose of all his rights but what about hers?