Would you consider this to be piracy?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you consider this to be piracy?

Antionline Herpetologist

Would you consider this to be piracy?

If I were to use a piece of software that I didn't pay for but is not available where I live, would you consider it piracy? For example, India doesn't have the GameBoy Advance or the Nintendo64 as console gaming isn't all that big here. So what if I play those games using an emulator and ROMs? I am definitely not taking away from the market for those games quite simply because the market doesn't exist. I'll be interested in seeing what you think about this.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

piracy is piracy, you cant change that. regardless of weather or not the market exists doesent have any effect on that

Yeah, just because doesn't exist where you live that doesn't mean that you are not doing something ilegal, just think about this: there are games for some consoles that don't get released in others...if you are emulating that console to play in your pc you are doing sometihng that is ilegal...
    [shadow]There are people who see things that are and ask why[/shadow]
    [shadow]I see things that never where and ask why not[/shadow]

[shadow]If U Know then U can[/shadow]

The IDSA has a FAQ to answer your questions about ROMs. I was wondering the same thing, and was very surprised at the answers. It may seem a little crazy since some games are not being marketed or sold any longer, but all games (even the Atari 2600 games) are protected under copyright law. To see more, read this: http://www.idsa.com/faq.html

I hope this has helped you.

albn

The Recidivist
    While it may illegal in the criminal sense, I don't belive it is wrong. He seems to have made some attempt to purchase these games but the market is just not there. So he acheived possesion through the only avaiable means. No if there was some avenue that he did not explore to get these items legally then there would be a problem. So I say enjoy Super Metroid.
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

albn....you just ruined my day....what am I supposed to do with my C64 emulators and games that I have . If I could find a c64 and equipment in good condition, I would cough up the money in a heartbeat, but I haven't run across any, and believe me I've been looking.
    Technically, yes it would be considered piracy in my case, but I'm not doing it coz I dont want to pay, I'm doing so for lack of alternatives, as well as for that warm fuzzy feeling I get when I see the boot screen.

So IMHO, it depends on the user's intentions....but I also know that the way to hell is paved with good intentions.

On a side note, a lot of old "abandoned" software can be found here.
    \"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.\" -- Dom Helder Camara

oooo commador boot screen... havent seen one of those in ages... although my cousin has one...

maybe ill steal that from him

albn....you just ruined my day....what am I supposed to do with my C64 emulators and games that I have . If I could find a c64 and equipment in good condition, I would cough up the money in a heartbeat, but I haven't run across any, and believe me I've been looking.
    I understand your pain, and trust me, there are a lot of people who feel the same way as you. I mean the idea of "abandonware" is a gigantic, controversial issue that deserves a serious look. I have seen many sites that deal with this issue:

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/features/pc/abandonware/

http://www.mobygames.com/featured_ar...,26/feature,7/

and there is even a petition:

http://abandonware.mivox.com/petition.html

Now the big issue remains... the copyright and the copyright holder. If the holders indeed let these items "go," is there any way to re-license these items under less restrictive terms such as the GPL? I think there is... I mean, these companies are not making any money from them anymore and many hobbists and enthusaiasts LOVE to make emulators, play games and spend every waking hour making these things better for others. That's what hackers like.

However, as much as a good idea as it sounds, it's still up to the copyright holders, and so far, nobody is budging.

albn

I have to agree with the legality vs viability bias many have demonstrated.

It is piracy. At least in America it is, I am not sure how binding the copyrights here are on India therefore it may not even be piracy. However, since a lot of software for America is produced in India I would not be surprised if India supports US copyright laws.

Is it morally wrong is much more difficult to answer. Like Mahakaal said many times copyrights stay in effect long after they are useful. Some of my favorite games were on the old intellivision system. At one time I considered downloading and running an emulator so I could play the ROMS. Intellivision isn't even in business anymore but their copyrights are still in effect. I could stand on my moral high horse and tell you that because of this I did not download and install the emulator. Honestly I did not install it, but the reason was that when I tried it messed up and I figured it just wasn't worth the hassle. So in my opinion if there is no good (read reasonable) legal way to get the software then I don't think it is morally wrong. The other threads that are close to this often mention lack of money and I know I am opening a loophole here for those who want to use pirated software because the can't afford it but that is not my intent or meaning.

Of course when the office of homeland defense breaks down your door and drags you to acomfortable federal prison here in the U.S. (or Guantanamo Bay) please understand that this is not official legal advice as I am not a lawyer
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

Uh oh now I know I'm old I have a 2600 Atari, and C64 and other stuff in the attic and I can make money on them? Having worked for Atari those old games were a blast but as state still under copyright. Then again I can blow out the new wide scree TV with the 2600 RF signal LOL Gawd I still got a pong. Fact is the overseas markets have more prited everything. Example wife bought what she thiut were ligit games for a Playstation while home in Asia all of them were priated and would not work on the system, then again the price of a buck should have been a heads up as well as the bad CD case copies. Illigal is just that has nothing to do with market share.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg