Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best remote access tool?

Best remote access tool?

Has anybody installed and used a Remote Access Tool on their network for administration purposes? If so I am curious which one do you recommend? Also security is a big issue for me and don't want to open up a backdoor accidentally. I have a hardware firewall that blocks all ports except 80 and 10000 (webmin). I want to use this tool only internally not externally. Can anybody give me any suggestions.

Thanks

Secure shell?

Since you are using webmin I assume this is a nix box of some sort.

If should have secure shell built in.

If your client machine is nix as well, it should also have ssh built in. If not, it is fairly easy to obtain.

If your client machine is windows, well, its gonna cost.

http://www.ssh.com/products/security/secureshellwks/

If you are only using it internally, you could use telnet I suppose, that is pretty much available on any system you would use. Problem is do you have iinternal lusers that might be capable of sniffing your password and gaining access to the server.

We use two different tools, I dont know what operating system you are using but the two I will recommend are Dameware and Windows XP/2k's called Remote Desktop.

Dameware NT Utilities requires you to have file and print sharing turned on and runs as if you were sitting at the console.

Remote Desktop found Start>Programs>Accessories>System tools. Runs in the background and wont affect anyone at the console. (ie. both can be logged on at the same time).

Both are good utils and I recommend both if this is for internal use.

I am assuming the firewall is nix and everything else is windows based
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Yeah i'd like to do the same but in large proportions, i have a cable connection at home and another one at work, i'd like to connect one pc to another, anyone knows wich program should i use??
    Thx
    [shadow]There are people who see things that are and ask why[/shadow]
    [shadow]I see things that never where and ask why not[/shadow]

[shadow]If U Know then U can[/shadow]

Thanks for the suggestions. Just another example of why antionline is such a great site!

It always helps to tell you what OS I am running. :-)

I want to connect to a Windows ME computer from my work station that is running Windows XP (home). Can I run remote desktop using Windows Me as the server? I didn't think so but perhaps someone can show me different.

I currently run ssh and webmin for my linux webserver and it works great! Sorry for the lack of information in my first post.

If you want to run remote desktop it has to be from either the XP way that I mentioned above or "I think" in windows ME you can use the Admin tools to run it. Not totally sure where they hide in ME but it works on 2k that way. Now if you are asking if you want to go from XP to an ME server I am pretty sure that is possible never tested but almost positive. Let me know if it works

EDIT: PC Anywhere is a big security hole too just an FYI
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Where I work we use Zenworks but this is specifically for Novell Networks and bypasses many security concerns since the security is still handled by Novell. I have used PC Anywhere and the capabilities in WebMeeting. I don't know about PC Anywhere but the Webmeeting used to open security holes that a total newbie could drive a car bomb through. I was not impressed by the speed or responsiveness of PC Anywhere but I haven't used it for about three years or more.
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

We use VNC, available at http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/ It can be made secure {a relative term I guess} and takes little bandwidth. I connect over ISDN and 56k and am able to operate. Another option is netmeeting.
    [glowpurple]The bottom line is the bottom line[/glowpurple]

We use two different programs Timbuktu and VNC. Timbuktu has some good options but is slow, buggy, and has memory issues. VNC is what I prefer to use as it is faster than tb2 and is free. You can read up on timbuktu at www.netopia.com and you can read up on VNC at www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/.
    May Everyone Find the Happiness That They Deserve,
    Raisor

An updated SSH, with blocking on all connections to the service exept the one we use, strong passwds.

gotta love linux

Preep
    http://www.attrition.org/gallery/computing/forum/tn/youarenot.gif.html