Bsd
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bsd

Talking Bsd

Hey i was wondering if the BSD in freeBSD stood for "Blue Screen of Death"? Does anyone know what BSD stands for? Im just wondering... pEs

From the FreeBSD website:

It is derived from BSD UNIX, the version of UNIX developed at the University of California, Berkeley.
    Berkeley System Design, or something along those lines.
    dhej

BSD="Blue Screen Of Death?" That is probably the farthest thing from the truth to say the least. The BSD and its variants are boasted to be the the most stable and secure OS's in existance. However, this, just like other OS's are open to debate.

And we all have seen the infamous OS wars.

Also, since FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD and others are freely available, why not go to your nearest FTP mirrior and test drive a copy yourself?

http://www.bsdnet.org/bsd.html is a good place to start. I warn you; like other OS's, BSD is not for everybody.

albn

Hey i was wondering if the BSD in freeBSD stood for "Blue Screen of Death"? Does anyone know what BSD stands for? Im just wondering... pEs
    BSD stand for "Berkeley Software Design" Originally code developed at University of California at Berkeley.
    Check out their website www.freebsd.com

BSD growing very fast same as linux..the most popular one is Free BSD,Open BSD,Net BSD..but you will find the other project BSD like : ClosedBSD,PicoBSD,DarwinBSD,TrustedBSD,EmBSD,MicroBSD
    Not an image or image does not exist!

Actually, BSD originaly stood for "Berkeley Software Distribution".
    Berkeley Software Design, Inc is the group/company that maintains BSD nowadays...

http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/...211710,00.html
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...g-bsd/x45.html

Ammo

Originally posted here by sweet_angel
    BSD growing very fast same as linux..
    Just a precision: BSD is actually MUCH older (and more mature) than Linux...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Just a precision: BSD is actually MUCH older (and more mature) than Linux...

Ammo
    yupe ammo is right But..I'm not saying Linux is older than BSD...I just say BSD growing very fast same as Linux....Alot of new developer trying to develop of new BSD same as developer of Linux..

BSD also had a lawsuit becuase it had code from at&t, i had a tree showing UNIx and its varients and when they came out, the install can be hell but as the others said, its VERY stable, try thinking, a brick wall dipped in steele and a lil while later, someone takes a peice of glass and throws it at it, lol the walls not going no where. id recommend the book "The complete FREE BSD" you can prolly buy it on the website, i have it, its great.

Is it not weird that both "BSD" and "LSD" were introduced at the University of California at Berkeley?
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Also, Is BSD GUI driven or command driven like UNIX.

Originally posted here by Exodus2002
    Also, Is BSD GUI driven or command driven like UNIX.
    Command Line, although there are many GUI interfaces that you can use...
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...