MAN Charged With Crashing WINDOWS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAN Charged With Crashing WINDOWS

MAN Charged With Crashing WINDOWS

MOUNTAIN HOME, AR -- Eric Turgent, a closet Linux advocate, was arrested yesterday for intentionally crashing his co-worker's Windows box at the offices of the "Roadkill Roundup" newspaper. Turgent disputes the charges, saying, "If causing an operating system to crash is illegal, than why isn't Bill Gates serving life without parole?"

Turgent's co-worker, Mr. Stu Poor, the clueless technology pundit for the newspaper, is a heavy Microsoft supporter. He frequently brags in his weekly Tuesday Tech Talk column that he "once had a conversation with Bill Gates." In short, he is the local equivalent of Jesse Berst. Last week he published an editorial entitled, "Freaks in Linux Houses Shouldn't Throw FUD", in which he wrote:
    Check out this site http://humorix.org/about-linux/artic...dows-con.shtml
    Not an image or image does not exist!

A "Linux hippie freak "

oh, thats too funny, i wish i could have been there to see that.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

thanks tedob it's kind of old's jokes(2000)....but that's make me laugh..

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    I've always been laughing at the way Windows is touted as "The internet's operating system" or "The next best thing" etc etc...when in fact, Win95 was admitted to have the 29 day issue and stability isn't even something anyone on the Microsoft Redmond campus should be even able to say.

IIS, Exchange, their operating systems, etc...admit it MS, you run the desktop world and that's it. When it comes to stability, *nix has held that ground for the past 40 years. This journalist that's a MS supporter wouldn't have enough of a sand dune to pitch a tent on after the arguments any staunch supporter of linux could provide.

As for charges on crashing his machine, that's ridiculous. IE crashes the OS, there are literal dozens of holes in the OS and IE that allow for REMOTE crashing, taking over of files, etc etc. I think he's just mad because his box that holds his prized MS OS wasn't at all secure nor stable. Idiot...

EDIT: I normally don't like to sound like an anti-MS bigot but I can't stand the way MS fanatical zealots have to try to bash everything linux/unix-related when their own OS doesn't back anything it proposes that it can do/etc.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

This is both sad, funny, and telling. The OS wars are silly IMHO. *nix is excellent for many things, and it continues to improve and come of age. MS has the power of market share and from that stem some very real advantages to me (yes I am a degenerate gamer and some are violent ones so don't neg me too badly or who knows what I am capable of ). Then we must not forget Macs. Where I came from last there were many Mac Fanatics. All of the OS's are viable, which is the best? Well on statistics I am behind *nix but overall it depends upon the person and their comfort level. I teach introduction to windows and the difficutly getting some people to understand the difference between a single and double click makes me dubious about teaching them to mount a floppy or cd. This is not a weakness of the OS but the user.

In this case though I love the quote, "if crashing a system is illegal why isn't Bill Gates serving a life sentence?" That one brought a real smile to my face and chuckle in my throat. Unfortunately that a discussion of this sort would rise to the level that it did shows the ridiculous nature of both individuals. The journalist revealed nothing new, his ignorant bias and blind faith in windows is shown in his insipid article. The *nix guy should have maintained a higher standard rather than reacting and damaging a man's work (not that the world is probably better off with it thrown into the digital bit bucket) and invoking a retaliatory response. However, to receive jail time for something this silly is really sad. The officer responding probably should have given them a time out in the corner and instructed them to grow up.
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    I agree, SodaMoca5, once again on your comments. The problem with your users, as you put it with the difference between a single and double click, is the fact that Windows is made for dummies. Anyone can be taught anything, no matter how complex. I can't do anything with sewing or crocheting but I know girls who were doing it since they were 7 or 8 and are masters. Not to mention, too many people that are older now and trying to learn computers are set in their ways and "it's too hard" or "I can't understand it". Mind over matter.

As far as the article is concerned, there's also nothing stated about the conversation that might've taken place before said winblows box crashed:

"Windows is great! It's the best and most stable and secure and and and ..."

"Dude, windows can crash on a dime..."

"No it can't! You can't do anything to my box, nyeah nyeah!"

*insert sound of crashing windows box here*

I have no doubt it might be like that just because the "journalist" is an immature biased bigot. I also agree that the OS wars are stupid. Who cares? I run linux and XP Pro and it generally runs as well as it's managed. Teach people how to manage their computers better and it's a better, more educated place. If people would open their minds a little to the various applicative uses for computers and learn more, it'd be a lot easier.

Then again, let's hope they don't. My job is secure by them being stupid, ignorant, and apathetic. I have no pity or sympathy for anyone who refuses to learn anything new, especially if "it has something to do with that computer crap". Thanks, insult my job when YOU called ME for help. Idiots, we're surrounded by idiots...
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

In short:
    The whole case is funny, but Bill gates should have done a bit more about '95. True the winXX are gettign better and better but there are still away from the *nix . The tradeoff is the ease of use ...
    assembly.... digital dna ?

i also agree with SodaMoca5. the best discription of *nix i've ever heard was in a text book i had once that said

"Unix...was designed by programmers, for programmers, to use in an environment in which the users are relatively sophisticated and enganted in (often quite complex) software development projects."

*nix have their place with people who need mroe control over their machine then the average user and are able to handle it's installation and configuration quirks. no one uses it b/c it looks pretty.

thats the biggest issue i have with the way linux distros are headed these days. reviewers are more concered with how easy the installer is or how nice kde looks...i can't remember the last time i read a review of mandrake or redhat that even mentioned an editor or compiler. i don't think that ease of use justifies watering down a perfectly good os. but if you don't care about any of that, why the hell would you bother spending a week tweeking a linux box when windows sets up in no time. i guess the moral of the story is to use the best tool for the job.
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one

To be honest..This is really interesting positive "jokes" discussion...and BTW I'm not anti microsoft ..Ok.. so..Don't flamed me..

i don't think anyone can flame you for posting a funny story sweet_angel.

Vorlin i must disagree with you. the guy definitly crashed the machine. Im not sticking up for windows, the con\con bug was known to ms for some time. but the fact is our man entered a string he knew would crash the computer. he could have typed it in the run command box, the windows explorer path bar anywhere at all. its a flaw in the operating system. he knew it to be a flaw, knew what it would do, but did it anyway. same as if he went over and pulled the plug.

It stu had really been a windows buff, why didn't he have office set to back-up the document every 5-10 mins. hell he should have known enough to have done it manually. i guess he really is just a shithead.

i still wish i coulda been there.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”