Hackers Want Their Prize Money

Thread: Hackers Want Their Prize Money

It's a gas!

Hackers Want Their Prize Money

I laughed when i read this article about the group of hackers Last Stage of Delirium (LSD) and the company Argus.

LSD won a contest by hacking into a webserver protected by Argus' Pitbull software and the company still havent paid up.

Big deal you may be thinking, but i think its ironic that this time its the hackers that have been shafted instead of the other way around.

ARTICLE

Thoughts?

Cheers

r3b00+

So certain was this company about its own security software?... ha!!!, i wouldn't trust this company anymore..., at least on this kind of software.

Morevoer, they don't want to pay?... hehe!!!, bad losers...

If you offer a reward, then you should pay up. This hackers did not do it because they wanted to be mean or destroy something, they did it because it was a contest. Even though hackers are the most hated people here, they should be paid, its called keeping your word. This company was pretty stupid for putting their software up for attempted hacks. Well, they are not only going to have to pay, they are also going to loose customers. -Ebo

It's a gas!
    Yeah you have a valid point ebo, just thought it was quite funny to see the tables turned!

r3b00+

I feel for both groups. It is obvious that Argus U.S. is dealing with a poorly thought out contest that a sister Company (Argus U.K.) started. The fact that the first CO screwed it up and didn't carry through is an indictment of him and not the company. I am impressed that the new CO didn't just claim non-liability which he could under current law since Argus U.K. is now defunct. While this may not hold up in court the chances of prosecution from a group in Poland is very slight. Many companies would have taken this route, realized that press coverage would be slight and obscure (Wired is not read by most business executives) and cut their losses. I appreciate the fact that this guy does not appear to be doing that.

I also think his statement at the end that no software is totally hacker proof is totally correct. It shows that he probably has some actual idea about security (he did come from the technical side at least). It also shows why defense in depth is the best defense. To rely on one product or one block is never as good as putting up multiple defenses that complement each other.

I hope that there is a follow up article showing that Argus came through. The hackers deserve their reward.
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

Yeah it was , but that is not fair. Think if it was you. You won't be happy if they didn't want to pay you. I mean they gave you permission to, they would have to pay. These people may be hackers but they can only get in trouble if they did noy have perimission to do that, but when you said they can. My friend, that company better get ready to pay up. Next time they won't have so much so much confident on Bill Gate's ex-workers, to code them something or make them a something, jk.