Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new AMD system won't boot

new AMD system won't boot

hi, just got my new amd system last nite, installed a net card and burner, i made sure i was properly grounded on the case before doing anything like i always do, the people who built it forgot to plug the floppy drive in too :-)

when i tried starting it up, all the fans turned on as i expected, it ran for about 10 seconds then turned off, no POST signals, display or hard drive activity at all, i made sure all the connections were ok and i couldn't see anything that looked out of place at all, im going to return it and see what the prob is but im just interested if anyone here has had a similar problem?

here are the specs BTW:

AMD Palomino 2100+
    GigaByte KT400 w/ AGP 8x
    512 MB DDR 266Mhz ram
    40 gig hard drive
    Geforce 4 Ti4200 128MB DDR
    Lan card
    Burner
    No O/S installed as yet as i didnt need one for it

I had had exactly the same problem with my AMD 600mhz. The problem was...the processor connection. It seemed to be well connected on the motherboard, but it didn't. Check this, I was afraid to break it, but I had to force. After that, all was perfect.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

try swapping power sources and/or power cords. gotta check the simplest of things first
    i will shoot you so hard.

We had the same thing happen to one of our Athlon XP 1600 systems. It turned out that the person who built the computer did not put in the processor in correctly.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

I agree with KissCool.

I would first take a look at the processor connections.

Question... Did it work properly before you added your net card and burner?

If yes... then check those connections again too.

All else fails... bring that **** back to whoever built it and have them fix it.

Why try to fix something that they should have been done right in the first place?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Also reseat video and memory -- no Bios beeps huh? floppy drive was unplugged? hmm.
    IS THE SPEAKER PLUGGED IN RIGHT?! lol
    Ill bet it isnt.
    sounds like these guys need to slow down when building PCs, whoever they are.
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

Well if its on warranty just take it back and make it someone else’s problem.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

some pretty good rules of thumb:

1. if nothing happens at all when you turn it on, it's not getting power.
    2. if fans and lights start, but no post, it's memory.
    3. if it posts but nothing aftwards, it's the bios. count the beeps in the post.
    3. if it can't find an os, it's the hdd.

i hope that helps...good luck!
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one

Antionline Herpetologist
    Jabberwocky, Ive had my sys power on, but not POST and it's always been the display.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi

EDIT: Jabberwocky, note that I used the past tense, what I meant was, it needn't always be the memory when your system powers on but doesn't POST. It could be the display card, which is what it's always been when I've had that problem.
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

if i'm understanding you right, you're getting power but no post? i guess the first thing i would check would be the memory, and then the cpu. make sure all the connections are tight...if you could swap some hardware out of another machine that you know works, you could probably narrow the problem down pretty quick.
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one