Was i at risk all this time?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was i at risk all this time?

Was i at risk all this time?

since i am running cable on this pc for quite some time now , i displayed all my connections and went into my cable stats.from there on the tab file and printer sharing was checked.i have had no knowledge whatsoever on this incident.Was there a chance somebody may have penetrated my file share and gotten into my pc?
    -N
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

Its entirely possible that your system could have been compromised. Do you have a firewall installed or any other kind of protection? Have you noticed any files appearing or dissapearing that you never saw before? You might want to provide a bit more info so people can suggest you some ways to secure your machine a bit better.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Yes, a PC set up on the internet without a firewall, or without being locked down(as this one apparently was not, Q.E.D. it had file and printer sharing turned on)is always at risk.

Some performed a test once, and wrote an article from it( I forget who and where, and even the exact details) about taking a windows 98se box and putting it out on the internet and it being compromised in 18 hours.

if i were you id go get a good firewall, virus protection, format and reinstall.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    You can use Sygate's free scan online. I dunno how detailed the scans are, but from what I understand, Sygate is reasonably trustworthy. Check it out, a couple various types of port scans etc. Hope this helps you secure your computer

http://scan.sygate.com/
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

I'd have to agree your chances of an invasion is pretty great. Besides the firewalls mentioned you maight also consider ZoneAlarm. It is easy to setup if you have only basic knowledge. Another tool to get is Ad-ware http://www.lavasoftusa.com because you had an open port you wil have spyware on your system and this will remove those. Backup your files and start with a firewall that will tell you what is running or wants to access the internet. A virus scan do some digging here in the tools section and find out the exploits for file and print sharing this way you will know what to look for manually on your system. Last time tests were run around where I live it took only 17 minutes for a computer to be hacked on a cable network. Quickest resort is to re-format and re-install the OS and then install the firewall first before you hook it back to the cable modem.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

if you've been exposed for that long (not that it would take that long) there's really no telling whats on your system. its better not to take any chances. change all your passwords, reinstall and just chalk it up to experiance.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I'll vouch for what everybody recommends. I've been there and now have good up to date antivirus, firewall, and a program called SpyBot, which takes care of a variety of nasty stuff.

Anybody who got into my computer would get nothing but bored, but I'd prefer not to share even that with anyone else.

Originally posted here by IchNiSan
    Yes, a PC set up on the internet without a firewall, or without being locked down(as this one apparently was not, Q.E.D. it had file and printer sharing turned on)is always at risk.

Some performed a test once, and wrote an article from it( I forget who and where, and even the exact details) about taking a windows 98se box and putting it out on the internet and it being compromised in 18 hours.

...surprised it took that long! Maybe my neighborhood is just vicious with the scans/hacking.
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

you can also try shields up https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 it's a little quicker than the scans over at sygate, although it is less indepth