Thread: Grr!!, what would u do i u were my bro?

Grr!!, what would u do i u were my bro?

Guys,

My brother work for ans ISP in Uruguay, in the ADSL section and, from time to time, when a customer has a personal problem in his PC my brother offers himself to repair the problem visiting the customer at his own home or enterprise. No much problem until a @#$%&!!! woman called the ISP complaining about how a common employee could be offering his own services to the customers. She called to my brother's work just because she got angry and accused my brother of breaking her modem, but the thing was that that day the main server of the ISP was down for the whole day and so the modem was barely conecting at a really low speed. But the old woman continued to think that my brother broke it until the day after when she realized that her modem comes to its real speed again and wasn't broken. But it was already too late because the bosses of my brother told him not to offer his services ever again or he would be fired, just to satisfy a @#$%&!!! old wrong woman. Well, the thing is that my brother is so angry, for working in the ISP he has this woman passwords for adsl, e-mail, ip address every time she conects to the Internet, etc., and he wants to take revenge. This is a "moral" problem... so, what would you do in my brother's case???, should he be bad???, or should he accept the unfair defeat??? hehe!!!

Thanks.

In my opinion, your brother was wrong to offer personal services to his companies clients (not his). Doesn't matter how the boss found out. I think it's asking for more trouble if your brother takes revenge on someone who reported him. He could not only get fired, but sued by the employer for harassing customers.

He should leave it be, apologize to the boss, and either work without offering those services or quit and go into business himself. I'm not a fan of those that try to hijack customers from their employers. But, that's just my opinion

[edit] oops... grammer error... should be "company's clients" not "companies clients"

lol... and I misspelled grammar... I'm on a roll tonight
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com

Well, the thing is that my brother is so angry, for working in the ISP he has this woman passwords for adsl, e-mail, ip address every time she conects to the Internet, etc., and he wants to take revenge. This is a "moral" problem... so, what would you do in my brother's case???, should he be bad???, or should he accept the unfair defeat???
    Unless he wants to be sacked, he should accept his unfair defeat. What he really should do, is compile a sort of report that outlines what he did, why the woman had problems with speed that day, how it wasn't actually his fault and so forth. Because he is an employee of the ISP, he should be able to get some proof of the server being down and this being the cause of the problem, not his own work. I think that this would be evidence enough that it wasn't his fault, and that he should be allowed to continue his freelance tech support work. He should also send this report to the woman (in layman's terms if need be) and explain properly how it wasn't actually his fault. Maybe get some affirmation of his ability from customers he has previously helped to include in the report, to show that he has done this before without screwing anything up.

bluebeard96: If it's not services that the ISP actually offers, then I would think it is fine for this guy to offer his skills. If the ISP does offer these services however, that is a completely different story. But I think if the ISP had found this guy doing paid freelance work on stuff that he should have been doing for free as part of the ISP, then he probably would have been sacked on the spot.

Just my $0.02

i would just let it go its not worth losing your job over
    --=::[ LeNc}{ ]::=-- stealing your time for pathetic web sites since 1998

Guys,

The ISP doesn't provide the service my brother offers and that was the reason for which he wasn't fired. The thing is that "the customer always have the reason" and i think it was just like a warning to my brother because he wasn't doing anything illegal. Some bosses already known that my bro was offering this kind of service and they didn't care.

Thanks for your opinion, i think you're right and it's better to stay quiet... but i hope i lightning bolt blows up her modem, hehe!!!

If your brother wasn't doing anything wrong then why would he need to take action??? If his higher-ups were aware and OK with his contracting, and they know the network was extremely slow that day, then they would also ignore the woman's complaint. Ignoring the complaint would mean that nothing comes down on your brother, and he should have no cause to act against this woman.

Even though your brother didn't break the modem, this is a PRIME example of why employers don't allow personal contracting by the employees to the customers. If they though it was ok before, they probably don't now!

In my eyes the woman did nothing wrong and, subsequently, should not have to endure any games with her passwords/mail/etc. If my modem went down the day after someone worked on it, I would be suspicious too, and I would call the ISP as well.

Even if your brother may have had permission do go do this, he is taking a risk and right now he's on this ice. The last thing he needs to do on this ice is start jumping up and down and making a scene.

oops... meant to say "thin" ice
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com