Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free domain name

Free domain name

Hello,

I know that they are out there and there is one that I used a while ago and liked but dont remember the name of it and cant find it anywhere.

Anyways. I am looking for a free domain name. I have allready tried .tk but they say address dosent exist or is allready redirected by them, and its not. So they wont work.

Does anyone know of any other free domain names? I have searched google up and down and get many results that say free domain names but they all charge.

thanks in advance
    Violence breeds violence
    we need a world court
    not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware lecturing us on world security!

If you are broadband and don't expect a whole lot of traffic, you might want to try a dynamic dns service.

They give you a name and then update your ip with thier dns service.

If your ISP blocks port 80, you can always change it to something different, make the change in the software and viola. You are now hosting yourself.

This is only good if you don't expect a lot of traffic, becasue of obvious reasons.
    This might also be against your ips terms of use, so make sure its ok first.

A couple that I have used are

http://dyndns.org/
    and
    http://dynu.com

These are both free services and you can get practically any name you want. It will be in the format of..

name.dynu.com
    or
    name.dyndns.org

Just figured I'd throw that out there... another good thing is... there is no space limitations!!!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

You can get a free subdomain, but no ones ever gonna give you a free domain name. Those cost money. I think what you are looking for is a dynamic DNS service. I like dns2go, and a buddy of mine is using kicks-ass.net(pretty cool, no?)
    \"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

I guess domain name was probably the wrong word. I am actually looking for a refferal service.
    DotTK is an example but they are not working for me. I have a vhost and it says that someone is allready linking to that address so it is probably the person that owns the server.

Anyways , if you go to sdfhjksd.tk (just an example) it will say that it is avalible and then you give your information and then the web address that you want to link it to.

So lets say i filled out sdfhjksd.tk to link to www.antionline.com..... Now when anyone goes to sdfhjksd.tk it will take them to antionline.

That is what I am looking for when someone goes to the url that I specify I want it to take them to my site
    Violence breeds violence
    we need a world court
    not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware lecturing us on world security!

Maybe this is it...?

http://www.cjb.net
    From far away, everyone looks cute.

thanks for all the help. I fianlly found what i needed http://www.has.it/register.php
    Violence breeds violence
    we need a world court

er0k
    dude, Euclid.. just look around, you can get a domain for $7.00 a year easily. and as much space as you need etc. you control almost everything for just $7.00 a year.. you spend more than that on extra beverages per week

I use exactly the same sort of thing on my site with http://www.ulimit.com/ , they have a large variety of subdomains (more than has.it) and a better email liberty (as far as I can judge, has.it doesn't allow you to create email adresses like webmaster@yoursite.has.it). You should see them.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

Not for anything, but whats wrong with the AO subdomain naming service...its free?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Seriously Tedob1, sometimes I feel myself dumb. I have strictly never thought to try it.
    I'll go to review it.

edit: There is no "www." with AO subdomains, besides it's stupid for a my site which is in France and designed for French to go via USA.
    Finally, I will keep my Ulimit url.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--