Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: product keys?

Question product keys?

i was downloading the microsoft service pack 1(sp1) for windows XP one day and my computer told me that i didn't have product keys. what are they? do i need them? are they of any importance? and what is the reason that they are not on my computer? some one please help me.

Do you have a legally purchaced version of XP? If not, then there is more "anti-piracy" protection built into XP SP1.

If that is the case, you can't install SP1.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

i'm not to sure if it was a legal copy, i purchased it from a ad i saw on t.v. selling a computer, they said the computer came with windows xp.

Banned
    Well if you got the PC and win.XP was per-installed then you should not have to worry about the keys unless your planing on re-installing it or whatever.

Did your comp ask you for the keys and you forget what the code was or something? If not then I really don't see a problem here.

AFAIK, All computers that are sold with a legal version of WinXP preinstalled come with a sticker on the computer itself which serves as the Certificate of Authenticity and comtains the Product Key for your version of XP.
    My $0.02

no i'm not planing to reinstall it.oh, and the computer never asked me to type in the keys. all it said was it couldn't install the sp1 because i didn't have the keys. what are these keys? what purpose do they hold?

aaah ha! thanks bshver! i looked all around my computer and i didn't see that sticker, unless it goes on the monitor then i won't know because i gave my dad the monitor it came with and bought a newer one.

Banned
    Well as mention above^ its microsofts way of saying F.U. to piracy. It looks to me like your gonna need some keys or a new OS.

Originally posted here by bshver
    AFAIK, All computers that are sold with a legal version of WinXP preinstalled come with a sticker on the computer itself which serves as the Certificate of Authenticity and comtains the Product Key for your version of XP.
    In short duke, this is what you need. If you threw out the box the computer came with and/or the booklets and all that with it, I don't see how you can install the product. Next time, keep the keys and/or any booklet information for future reference.
    Space For Rent.. =]

thanks i'll remember to hold on to all that stuff next time i get another computer. and this time i'll look for that sticker.

but why the service pack 1? just install sevice pack 2. it has SP 1 embedded in it.
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.