Cell Phone Spam

Thread: Cell Phone Spam

Cell Phone Spam

Well, it finally happened. I received my first text message cell phone spam.

www.1800cellphone.com

I can see it now, I'll get a letter in the mail from my cell phone provider saying "For just $19.95 a month you can stop text message spam!" These people should be dropped into a pit full of crocodiles.
    I\'d rather die on my feet than live my life on my knees.

(Emiliano Zapata, a Mexican revolutionary in the early 1900s)

Don't you get charged for text messaging?

If so, you should make that spammer pay for it. I don't know how that would work... but thats not right.

You can probably disable text messaging if you don't use it.

idea- what if there was a certain "password" you have to enter to make your text message go through. Or, maybe an access list.

I haven't heard of this being a big problem yet, but I'm sure it'll catch on quickly.

Unfortuately, unless we are one step ahead... we are the ones getting shafted.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

You don't pay to recieve text's you pay to send them out. I've gotten an advertisements once as well, I wonder how they got my number....spooky

I've got text message cell phone spam before(two months ago but it stopped already)..and that's bothers me..
    You don't pay to recieve text's you pay to send them out. I've gotten an advertisements once as well, I wonder how they got my number....spooky
    I asked Telecom, apparently "they" picked my cellphone numbers by random (bad luck for me)
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!

yeah i get that sometimes buts its only from the server i use but still i hate it
    especially when your expecting an important sms
    --=::[ LeNc}{ ]::=-- stealing your time for pathetic web sites since 1998

I canned my POTS and went with a cell phone for my main phone and love it. No more ****in' telemarketers selling me stuff that I don't need.

Yup and my phone has the text messaging option but I won't use it cause then the spam starts to flow. Cause many of my friends use the text messaging and within days the spam starts to flow.

Words of advice: Don't Use Text Messaging.

It appears that text message spam aint the only problem - I was wondering, how many people actually call a number back on their cell phone, if that number calls them once and hangs up...:-
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/2543283.stm
    I\'m drunk, and right now I\'m so in love with you.

Everyone tries to steal money from us. What the hell?!!!

heh..I tried to send a text message to my boyfriend's cell (he has the option set up) and it didn't go through...but the company he has his cell phone through feels the need to spam him with their garbage and sure enough that gets through ok! Its pretty bad when the spammers are the main phone company, but they have the cheapest rates around..go figure
    ~Rehab is for Quitters~

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man
    I acctually did something like this before. However I was not spamming for cash at all, just testing the waters, seeing how dumb people can be. Ya know... the everyday thing. Its sad when sites like www.smartbeep.com and www.skytell.com and my personal favorite, http://storefront.metrocall.com/mcll/page.html. Here they have an old version of form mail that is easyly exploited by completing the script here.

<form method=POST action="send_message_cgi.asp" name="sendamsg" onSubmit="return validate()">

I will leave the tutorial out on this one seeing as how its not the most ethical subject matter.
    But once a send_message_cgi.asp has been completed with destination and message body, you can simply place the script in your browser and run. Or for the more 1337 *******,
    they could simply make a program to change a few variables in the script everytime it is generated, open some winsockets and go.

So it seems that simply getting by with Just enough isnt going to do it for these cellular/ communications companies. If they want to further revenue they should stop the spam NOW, while they still have a chance.
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2