Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changing user account names

I don't use the user and passwords applet in control panel to manage my local accounts. Instead use the local users and groups MMC.

There are several ways to get to it. One is by right clickin on computer management and then open the Local users and groups section.

Or you can use the Users and Passwords applets, and then select the advanced tab, and click the advanced button halfway down the screen. It doesn't appear to have the problems you are describing above.. you can also change the admin account name(or any account name) through the MMC without needing to use a policy.

and as a side note- you can always change the account name and the full name. The only thing you cannot change is the SSID.

I know this an "old" post... but I wanted to add something...

FOR WIN2K/XP
    I ALWAYS rename the admin account. Goto admin tools via control panel, computer management, etc. user accounts. Right click on account and rename it to something else.

THEN...

I create another user account with no privledges... I call that one administrator. Disable this account and audit it.
    The first user id someone goes for is the admin account.

Tell tale signs someone is trying to gain admin access. Only a few certain people (who you tell) will know what has actually happened and which account to use.

BEWARE: If you do this with a XP box... and you need to use the recovery console... you will not be able to access it with the XP disk. It asks for the adminstrator account and password... but it no longer is exists. It is called something else now.

The way to get around that is to use a Win2k disk and boot to recovery console. The Win2k disk doesn't ask for admin user id and password to login into recovery.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

thats an old thread - i was linked from :
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=250432

however..
    it's really heavy that windows allows any admin to change any admin....
    but it's very interesting thing to see what happens if you do from the account itself
    you are changing the name but you stay logged in with the old name....

what happens when deleting the Administrator from the Administrators group
    after adding him to the users group?

?? ;D
    Industry Kills Music.