Christmas' thoughts...
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Christmas' thoughts...

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    606

    Christmas' thoughts...

    Guys,

    I know we need 15 more days to Christmas day but i don't know if i'll be in my country for that date so, just in case, i'd like to remember all of you about that day, and this is more dedicated to american guys because i know USA is the country that feels more intense Christmas day than any other country in the world. But it's better than we need 15 more days to reach Christmas so we have enough time to think about this day, because this day, believing in Jesus or not, makes a lot of people really happy. I'm talking only to people who really celebrates Christmas, i wish the best to the ones that for diferent reasons do not celebrate or hate this day, but unfortunately i can do nothing, i'd do it if i could... but i can't. And for the people i'm talking, please think in that person that you really love and try to make him/her happy, at least with a little present. A few days ago i read a post about depressing in Christmas day, and i think many of you maybe has the same feelings or your familiars do, so keep them as close as possible at least this day. I don't know why i am writing this thread being uruguayan but i think every person that celebrates Christmas feel the same. Well, that's all and hope to be here for Christmas to write again.

    Good luck!!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    221
    I have to agree with you, but in the country that i am from (NigeriaP), we celebrate christmas like there will not be another one. Even though my country is like 90% Islam, the other 10 percent celebrates christmas to the fullest point. So when you say that the U.S.A celebrates the christmas the most, i might have a different feeling to that. Celebrating christmas is not how many gifts one house hold can get each other, and like i see it that is what christmas is about for most people in the U.S. There are people that can not offered to buy gifts for their families, in foreign countries, and they know the true meaning of christmas, because they have never gotten a gift because it was christmas, so they do not rely on the gift to make them happy. They know that there are other ways of finding happiness on christmas, other than looking for a present under the tree. I do like America's way of christmas, but sometimes we have to let our younger ones know that if we did not have as much money to buy everybody presents, there is also another way of finding happiness within yourself. -Ebo

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    889
    Well thanks and as an older person here did you know that Roudolf The Red Nose Raindeer was not invented before a Sears commerical in the mid 50's by Sears (large retailer here)? Things are what you make of them each day, honor elders honor your today cause if your lucky one day you look about and find your old Peace
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

  4. #4
    Old ancient one vanman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Freestate,South Africa
    Posts
    570
    I think it doesn't matter which country, which culture as long as you do it the way you enjoy it, with whom ever you want, and for the right reasons.Enjoy.Merry christmas everyone.
    Practise what you preach.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    4,055
    Originally posted here by ebo
    I have to agree with you, but in the country that i am from (NigeriaP), we celebrate christmas like there will not be another one. Even though my country is like 90% Islam, the other 10 percent celebrates christmas to the fullest point. So when you say that the U.S.A celebrates the christmas the most, i might have a different feeling to that. Celebrating christmas is not how many gifts one house hold can get each other, and like i see it that is what christmas is about for most people in the U.S. There are people that can not offered to buy gifts for their families, in foreign countries, and they know the true meaning of christmas, because they have never gotten a gift because it was christmas, so they do not rely on the gift to make them happy. They know that there are other ways of finding happiness on christmas, other than looking for a present under the tree. I do like America's way of christmas, but sometimes we have to let our younger ones know that if we did not have as much money to buy everybody presents, there is also another way of finding happiness within yourself. -Ebo
    Hrm, I have a few thoughts on this. First, you said that around 10% of Nigeria celebrates Christmas, but to the fullest extent. Exactly what do you mean? To most American kids, yes, Christmas is all about presents. However, they celebrate it because they are Christian and/or belong to a Christian family. That would probably mean they go to church and would know what it means. Even if they don't, they are probably reminded by their parents, the various songs that surround Christmas, etc.

    Another point that came to mind is the fact you said that in alot of foreign countries, many people can't afford to buy gifts for Christmas, therefore they don't rely on gifts to make them happy. However, and many might disagree, the U.S has a LARGE homeless population, and they probably NEVER recieve gifts (unless from a shelter or some sorts). Some might go as far to say as the U.S has the largest homeless population in the world (don't quote me on that, I'm not all to sure ). So definitely a percentage of people living in the U.S doesn't recieve presents and take's Christmas more for what it is.

    They know that there are other ways of finding happiness on christmas, other than looking for a present under the tree. I do like America's way of christmas, but sometimes we have to let our younger ones know that if we did not have as much money to buy everybody presents, there is also another way of finding happiness within yourself.
    I would agree with this, again to an extent. For those die-hard Christian's out there, they celebrate the fact that (in their belief) Jesus was born. They would look more towards that and/or celebrating it than anything else (again, if it's there belief). Another way people in America celebrate Christmas without the LOVING factor of presents is family. For load's of people, Christmas is a time to spend with your family, and nothing more. They love seeing their family (some family they don't normally see) and they love being together for the holidays.

    In conclusion, I agree and disagree with your posts. Yes, Children should be reminded that Christmas isn't all presents, but most already are. Like I've said, there are many key factors of reasons why/how people celebrate it. This leads me to a question that might further discussion, How do you celebrate Christmas (or your respected holiday)?...
    Space For Rent.. =]

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    606
    ebo,

    I agree with Spyder32 100% and to improve myself i'd like to know how you celebrate Christmas too. Don't misunderstand me, i wish you a merry Christmas too, just like i said above, i wish it more to americans because, when i was in USA in 2001, i learned from them how to really celebrate Christmas. I'm just thanking them, but i obviously respect your traditions too my friend. Marry Christmas again to you and your familiy ebo!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •