Linux Questions

Thread: Linux Questions

Linux Questions

I have got a some questions for linux that maybe some of the more experience linux users
    that are in AO can possibly help me with. I'm using mandrake 9 by the way.

How do i install software. I've read some articles on it but I'm getting really
    stuck because certain installs are different then others. If someone could just summarize a basic how to for different files i would be thrilled. Also is there any tutorials that you read on learning linux and linux programming. I'm really into java since vb doesn't run. So right now I"m learning to be a java developer. Looking for Linux internet programming with java books or tutorials.
    Good Grief

these topics have been covered about 500 times before, anyway though,
    mandrake has there own website, id say go there and read up on what you wanna learn, linux.com would be helpful to,
    also go to http://www.google.com and type in Linux, youll have enough to read to keep youbusy for at least a few weeks, and id also trythe "search" option on AO, theres a million AO tutorials and topics about it.

As TheFiend said, google is your friend here, they also have a linux specific search engine .... http://www.google.com/linux - also you could try,

alt.os.linux.mandrake (Mandrake specific newsgroup)
    http://www.club-nihil.net/mub/index.php (unofficial Mandrake Board - need to sign in but has lots of handy tips, instruction and links) and as stated Mandrakes official board on their site - http://www.mandrakeusers.org (requires sign up to post)

Well, as far as JAVA programing goes, SUN puts out an easily installed(with following instructions) package to install java with. Then, just follow the instructions that you can find after searching google for "java beginners tutorial" or some words like that.

As far as installing software goes, it kinda depends on your distribution. If you are using madrake(which you say you are) or any other redhat based system, you can use the RPM;s which are already configured correctly. If you need a particular package, it should be on one of your CD's or you can find it at rpmfind.net.

If you are installing an RPM, usually the best way is to be in the same local directory as the package you want to install, and type "rpm -Uvh package-name.rpm"

If your package is not an RPM, but is code which you need to compile yourself, usually, after you unzip and un-tar it,

using tar -zxvf packagename.tar.gz

you can merely change into the directory which untarred, and type

./config
    make
    make install

If you need help with specific paciages or setups, please list them here, or send me a private message, I will surely help you install whatever you need, or be able to direct you to the proper resource.

But, please don't expect an immediate response, no matter who you ask.

IchNiSan

p.s Goodnight all, it is now 0200 in the morning my time, and I have to go to work in the morning.

It's a gas!
    As IchNiSan has said you can use the distro specific package managers to install your s/w, alternatively you can compile and install the tarball in the following way.

tar xvzf package.tar.gz
    cd package
    ./configure
    make
    make install

Although most of the time this wont work (past experience), best thing to do is after you have extracted the files of the tarball, look for the README or INSTALL files located in the folder that has been created, open in a text editor and you will get full instructions on how to install.

Hope this helps

r3b00+

Thanks IchNiSan and r3b00+

Ok so I've been trying it out. RPM seems to be the easiest to do. I can just
    click on it. I downloaded a tar and did tar -zxvf and it worked. This is cool.
    Is there any other ones I should know how to do?

Found some java links on Sun. Sometimes Sun likes to hide things from me.
    anyways I found some links to help with Linux Java Programming. Some of
    it is really different but most of the java code in windows is the same.

http://developer.java.sun.com/develo...ning/new2java/
    Good Grief

Yeah.. bzip2

if you see any .tar.bz2 or .tbz files, they work nearly the same as the gz ones...

only this time use: tar -xjvf (the j is now the most common way to go with bzip2 files I think)

an ofcourse the java compiling way..

javac theFileName.java this compiles theFileName
    java theFileName executes theFileName
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Ok cool thanks the_JinX
    Good Grief