Thread: multi-OS at Once on same machine !

Question multi-OS at Once on same machine !

heya guys,

i was searching a solution for my customer who was asking to run multi OS on his server at the same time and just switch between them without rebooting !!

well, i came up with this ==> www.vmware.com

but i don't feel safe, is it tested and approved, anyone of u guys tried something like that ?

it says:
    allows you to run multiple operating systems at the same time on the same PC without rebooting or partitioning your disk.

What Is VMware Workstation?
    VMware Workstation is virtual machine software for technical professionals. It lets you run multiple versions of operating systems simultaneously on single computer . Quit wasting time configuring hardware, installing software, rebooting/reconfiguring systems. Spend more time developing, testing, and deploying applications and delivering support.

if any tried this stuff, pls. let me know

thanx

bimmer

it might also be a good idea to make sure the link works??

all it leads to is "http:///"
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

VMWARE IS GREAT!!!

We use it in the lab all the time.

We've never had any real problems- We run it off of Windows2000 Pro.

<edit>
    I think it emulates the BIOS (wich is pretty much standard)
    </edit>
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

VMWare is great stuff. I've mentioned it to AO a few times in the past, too. Very helpful for testing software on multiple platforms! BTW, there are student discounts on it (not easy to find, but there's a list of vendors in there that sell at academic pricing).
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

VMWare is pretty cool, but it is a SERIOUS resource hog. You will need a LOT of RAM to get it to run smoothly.

but yes, it will do what you want it to do, and it does a great job at that.

El Diablo

Angry

WTF guys, just like as if someone is waiting me to post.
    i start a new post asking somthing and i get negged 3 times for no reason
    i didn't even dare to post for the last 2 weeks. i don't think this is a fare game

if someone have something personal, just face me.

well, if JP can't get control on this, and do some enhancement for the report thing at AP system.

i might stop posting , save my greenies, and start negging

edit:
    oh, one more thing, the link works fine for me, so better check ur F**k*n connection A*$h**L3.
    When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power, the world will know peace... Jimi Hendrix
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask...... what was war?

Whatever...

Anyway, I'll put in my 2 cents:
    I use VMware GSX on Windows and Linux as host OS as well as VMware workstation with multi-OS clients. I have found that since VMware was developed primarily on Linux, it runs much cleaner on a Linux host for both GSX and W/S. Therefore the security on Linux is far better than Windows it is a better host for VM's as far a security goes. Plus you don't have to pay for an extra license on the host.

I use VM's for development of my "attempt" at code (VMware workstation) but the company I work for uses VMware GSX server for running multipule divisions VM's (5) and clusters to redundant hardware. This has saved the company about 2/3 the cost by using VMware instead of buying extra hardware.

Since most servers and workstations use only on average 5-10% CPU utilization running idle type processes, its a waist of resources to have multipule machines running the same type applications. Even on the a PC most all hardware is barely utilized. As far as VMware being a "SERIOUS resource hog" you need extra RAM for a VM host but compare that buying an extra PC. Or try a dual/multi-boot a see how a pain that is...

I suggest Linux as a host because windows is a bit "cluncky"

im running rh8.0 as a host machine and win 2000 as a guest and am having some issues because i dont have enough ram. So if u have enough ram then vmware is awesome. also i suggest staying away from 2000 or xp as a guest OS because they have alot of overhead. Vmware with win98 as a guest works perfect.
    kNoWLeDgE

Xylinx - heh, in no way was I trying to be negative about VMWare, which I think is a great product, but I have known far too many people that think they can run it on their regular machine without any modifications. I invariably get a call about running out of resources, things going really slow, etc.

So I always tell folks that think about using that product to upgrade their RAM a lot. If you think you have enough now then my suggestion is to double it and it will make VMWare happy

Oh and I don't know about a new PC being that much more expensive now. There is a $199 PC that Wal-Mart (ick I know, I hate them too) is selling at the moment. Of course it's running Linux instead of windows though.

El Diablo