Thread: How do I get into security area?

How do I get into security area?

I love computers, I know more about them than anyone else i know. I can probally compete with my IT guy at school, as career I want to deal with computers. I want to know more about it because here, you guys and gals know more than me, and well that makes me feel really stupid, I am getting into programming and need more advice in security area.

Where do i start, sometimes feel overwhelmed... I have a thirst for computer knowledge and want to know everything there is, a friend of mine was telling me about etting certified in a feidl to land a job.

What are some certs to gain so I can study and learn more?

Thanks in advance.

kOc

well, for one guys im back after my lil vacation, it was nice
    and to answer your question, well, first, check here on AO, theres a lot of info here about all kindsa topics, also, if you wanna get a look at some degrees, anti online has a list of websites you can read about some of them, the location is right here: http://www.antionline.com/degrees.php?

go take a look around there and get a feel for what your getting into, also, on the right hand side of the main AO page, look at the texts, you can read alot about computers and advanced topics there. also, i think every member would say this:
    http://www.google.com google is your friend, use it wisely and all knowledge you seek will be searched and delivered, also, http://www.textfiles.com lots of reading there to, and, read the AO member FAQs and youll gain knowledge about posting and how to ask questions correctly, and remember, its fun to play with computers so have a good time, and you might wanna look into college, im in my second semester, i love it.
    What type of things do you like learning? besides programming. you can find a bunch of stuff about programming here, not only are there text files, theres also a message board dedicated to it so be sure and check that out, read and learn and youll be well on your way to an actual career.

King of CaveMen,

The day you really want to improve a little more any of your different areas of knowledgment, just visit hackers and security sites. There you'll really find many interesting things that you'll never learn from common textbooks, e-books or documents, although i just want to say that using the term or talking about "hackers" in AO is your own responsability, but you are free to choose what you want. Hey!!!, I don't mean that hacking is good or bad..., that thoughts i'd rather keep them for myself.

Good luck!!!

I understand what a hacker is. I also seen all the debates on classes, and what not and ethics. The sites I visit are www.antionline.com and www.securityfocus.com is there any other websites out there if you want you cane mail them to me kingofcavemen@msn.com

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    First of all, welcome back gore, i hope to get a new bofh from you

King of cavemen, im really happy to see that someone with your skills admits that you still have a lot to learn. Indeed security is a subject off its own compared to other computer subjects, its a way more advanced subject. The best way to learn more is to actually understand how all the things work. Example:

To secure a server (any kind of server) you must first understand all the detail of how the server works, what protocols it uses to comunicate with clients, all the fine detail. This rule is also for OS, clients, services, networks anything really. Best way is to setup an OS, server, network, whatever and try to administrate that in a well maintained and secure way. Reading the logfiles and watching over whatever you have build will give you alot of interesting information. Like a dns server for example, in the logs it says often something like "lame server on www.bla.heh" detected (only an example of a host). What does that mean, is it normal or is it a bug. you have to actually setup the dns server, maintain it and keep reading the manuals and/or logs to understand it. If that was a security leak, then you would have to find a solution for it. Ofcourse there is much more to it than i have mentioned. Its only to give you a rough idea. When it comes to secure programming, you have to find out what it is that your programm "should" not do, if the programm generates any kind of logging or debugging, if it does log, how much detail will it log and show you etc........

Let me post a few nice links that might help you a bit.

google.com
    protools.cjb.net
    runsecure.com
    antionline.com
    securityfocus.com
    bsdninja.com
    linux.org
    programmersheaven.com
    google.com
    microsoft.com
    and again...heh, google.com

Good luch with you goals.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Have you tried attending 2600 meetings? Foundstone events? What about starting up your own Computer Security Discussion Club, if you keep it Legit you have nothing to worry about. I used to check out Radio Talk Shows such as Hackermind.net, Radio Freek America, and Off The Hook. I'm not sure if any have been canceled, but if any of that helps let me know. Just do us all a favor (just keep it legit)

I understand what a hacker is. I also seen all the debates on classes, and what not and ethics. The sites I visit are www.antionline.com and www.securityfocus.com is there any other websites out there if you want you cane mail them to me kingofcavemen@msn.com

Here is a good list of sites to check out too

http://www.antionline.com/toplist.php
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here