IP addresses
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IP addresses

IP addresses

How can someone see your IP address without connecting?

I think you need to be a little more specific.

For one thing, someone can scan a range of IPs and get a list of what IPs replied to the scan.

Whenever you connect to a webpage the host can see your address...

There are many many ways to obtain an IP address...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

without connecting....what do you mean !
    sorry but i did not realize what you were tryin to say

If your question is "How can someone see your IP address without being connected to you?". Anybody has to be connected to you in order to know your IP adress. It can be with a scan, an access to a webserver which would be on your computer, a direct connection through an instant messenger....

If your question is "How can someone see your IP address when you are not connected?". The answer is the same: he can't. Because you don't have a real IP adress when you are not connected (if we forget the 127.0.0.1 IP adress which is a loop).
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

An IP address is very much like a listing in the telephone book. It's public information, you could ask for it.
    If you have access to a router that has passed traffic from the machine in question, the arp tables would have that information. You would have to know the hostname to match it with the IP address in question, but there are ways that you could narrow down just one host.
    I'd recommend reading more on networking and TCP/IP. You'll get some ideas.

Regards.

Edit : I am naturally assuming you are the admin of the network in question and have ownership of the IP/ machine you are looking to find out about.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

My name is Masud and I'm new so please try to bare with me.I hope this is the right fourm to ask about these things.I'm getting quite a bit of intrusion activity on my machine,and my question is (how far am I allowed to pursue these culprits using some of the tools that are provided before I step outside of the legal paramerters)? Help! Please!

It's a gas!
    masud - you should really start a new thread if you're asking a question of your own, it isn't very polite posting an off topic question in someone elses thread and you have less chance of anyone seeing your post, thus not being able to help out!

ps Start a new thread and you WILL get an answer

Enjoy AO

r3b00+

masud, your question really should be in its own thread in a security forum. what your doing is interupting this thread. Go to discussion forums, select the forum that best suits your question either windows *nix or general security. When that forum loads showing all the newest threads it contains, click the button on top for 'new thread'.

Being as your question is already asked and i have no idea what hobbit921 is talking about: you can block anyone from accessing your computer but you cannot take any action against an attacker yourself. You can trace the attacking address and report that person to their isp, usually abuse@thatisp.com or you can report the attack to the athorities if damage, including defacement, was incurred because of it or you were actually broken into. Scans do not mean your being attacked so watch what your reporting.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

um. i would just like to say that i use kali, and that every time i connect the IP address show up, but its always different. why is that, i thought IP addresses were supposed to stay the same?
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

It's a gas!
    every time i connect the IP address show up, but its always different. why is that, i thought IP addresses were supposed to stay the same?
    You're incorrect!

There are two types of IP addresses, static and dynamic, a static IP address you've gotta pay for, these are mainly only used by people running webservers, etc. so that they're always online.
    A dynamic IP address is an address assigned to you, by your ISP, every time you connect to the internet and this is taken from a pool of IP adresses available to your ISP. Therefore every time you connect you are given a different IP address.

Hope this cleared things up a bit for you.

r3b00+