Thread: cell phone towers

cell phone towers

Does any body know where i can get info about the cell phone towers in my area? is there a database or any thing online?

I Guess calling your Phone Company should do the trick =)
    Other than that would require a car and a pair of healty eyes..
    Missing em ol BBS' days!
    Virtus - Splashgame.org

Re: cell phone towers

Originally posted here by littlefro
    Does any body know where i can get info about the cell phone towers in my area? is there a database or any thing online?
    Unfortunately, these DBs tend to be pretty heavily guarded pieces of information (though yes, I have one). Perhaps surprisingly enough, though also tend to be fairly incomplete and somewhat incorrect, even for large providers (that's probably actually more of a correct statement the larger the provider may be, much like regular computer networking ocmpanies - the more complex the system gets, including any "acquisitions," the more impossible it'll be to ever have either a complete or accurate diagram).

Personally, I'd love to see a publically accessible database on these out there... but, given the nature of "competitive advantage" and similiar, I doubt we'll ever see it happen. Also, I'm not exactly sure the cell providers want the general public knowing where all their towers are... they tend to be fairly dangerous, etc (and many are actually "hidden" on top of buildings and other structures and not exactly easy to spot).
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Banned
    There are databases that can look up phone numbers and e-mail addresses and then match a name and address to it. Oh and lets not forget whois can also pull info like this off of sites. If you could find personal info such as this then I don't see why you can't find info on towers.

Might I ask why you want this info? If you want to learn about them... what makes them tick then go search with GOOGLE. But if you plan on phreaking a whole phone or radio tower then this would be considered cracking.... ummm.... cracking your bones that is!

I did some research on this earlier in the year, and was dissapointed in what i found. I found a site called Towermaps.com. They seem to provide a little information, but for a HUGE cost to you. I think however that their information will be incomplete or incorrect partially. The best and only good way to map cell phone towers would be to build a reciever and drive around looking for signal strength, and using that to locate towers in your area. This isn't easily accomplished, but it is definatly do-able! Good luck with your research! IMHO i think this should be PUBLIC INFO! And I think technically it is, just not availble public info.......
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Well, yeah... you can drive around with a modem and possibly find them - at least some of them. Though the "right" modems are kind of tough to find these days, it seems - and there's more "noise" up there than you might think, making the "fun" even greater.

And, like I thought I had indicated... even the "real" databases (like from the providers) aren't complete/accurate. The one I have is pretty good, but it still sucks... it would be great if it were a bit better / more accurate.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"