Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to REALLY delete a file...(WINDOWS USERS ONLY)

How to REALLY delete a file...(WINDOWS USERS ONLY)

You recieve a sensitive email from a buissness associate. Client info, proprietery stuff, whatever. You download the word document, read it, then delete it to make sure no one else gets the info. Two days later, that info, that you thought you protected is all over the net. How did this happen? The file is deleted, right? Gone, right? Wrong. When Windows deletes a file, it doesnt really delete it. It simply tells the computer that the file no longer exists, and deletes the directory. This means that the file itself is still on your hard drive, waiting for a person with evil intentions and the right software to uncover it. The file will stay there until the computer needs this space, when at that time the OS will overwrite the old file with the newer file. So, what are you to do? Well, simply get the right software, and you can really delete a file. This is done by overwriting the sensitive data with a random series of 1's and 0's, many times. The method i prefer is the gutmann methods , which consists of over writing the file 35 times. Some good programs which securely delete a file are Vshred, Clean Disk Security, and . Sorry if i dont have the websites, just search them on google, or just search for "secure file deleters" or some shizit like that. vShred is unfortunatly shareware, letting you make only one pass over the data and only five files at a time. Plus a nag screen.
    http://www.zdnetindia.com/indya/down.../10147363.html
    ^^^you can download it here^^^
    Clean disk security is my personal favorite. Not only does it securely delete files, it can also recover accidetally deleted files. it has many other features like cleaning your browser cache, deleting your cookies, cleaning the windows swap file, and cleaning the file slack space. Methods of overwrite include the simple (1 pass), NIS (7 passes), and the Gutmann method (35 times, my personal favorite, like i said before.) Download Clean Disk security here www.theabsolute.net/sware
    Wipe is a good one too. Well, theres really nothing else i can think of to say, so i bid you farewell
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

Maybe since this is a tutorial you should put a little more effort into it.....good thought though. Maybe give some more info on each program, plus a link to the site. I know of at least one program that you left out. Also, I think there's some sort of minimum limit for a tutorial, and you're probably under it. Great idea for a tutorial, but please put some more work into it.

*edit*

Good job, already some nice improvements since I posted this^.

A good first!

Here's some follow up to:
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...elete+securely

PGP is also an alternate solution to those paranoid. You can check that out here: http://www.pgp.com/

One more thing...
    (sorry if i spelled it wrong, to all senior ppl reading this)

You act like you offended them or something. Every senior here is in one way or another very knowledgeable, but not nit-picky.

Once again, a good first tut
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

Every senior here is in one way or another very knowledgeable, but not nit-picky.
    heh

more updates on this tut on 9/22, so those who say it is to short, hold your water
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

You act like you offended them or something. Every senior here is in one way or another very knowledgeable, but not nit-picky.
    Bahh.. who's nit-picky
    Space For Rent.. =]

Just curious, how would one go about retriving a file that is "deleted" but not gone. Or how could I see what files are gone or just hidden?
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    There are plenty of file retreivers and disk level programs out there to recover the deleted files.... Just visit google.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

In response to Lansing_Banda's question, Tiger Shark is right, and also, Clean Disk Security is a good combo, deletion recovery program.