Need Help!

Thread: Need Help!

Question Need Help!

Hello all!
    I have a NT 4.0 server (YUCK) with a NTFS drive, partitioned 1 gig system, 3 gig data.
    its part of a mirror set, so theres another drive thats exactly the same.
    I want to expand the system partition. So I fired up ghost, cloned it, no problem
    I bring the server up and the disk administrator says yep, 3 gig system drive, 6 gig data, as it should be... thats what I cloned it to be.
    HOWEVER:
    The NT server sees the drive as 1 gig still and INSISTS its not bigger than that.
    I Really need this server back up because it was supposed to be a easy clone and back in service at 10 am. Its now 1 PM.
    PLEASE if anyone knows WHY it would do this speak up!
    Much thanks in advance
    Avenger_jcc
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

I haven't worked much with Ghost, but from what I know of imaging software, it's probably because the image is only of a 1 gig partition for system and 3 gig for data. I would think the imaging software would take an image of the existing setup and reapply that image to the medium you supply. I don't imagine it would dynamically modify that image to "fit" the new drive (as far as I know). Besides, if NT was installed on a 1 gig partition, so the registry should contain that as your current harware specifications. Most likely the additional space you're "missing" is simply sitting there un-allocated. I recommend creating a new partition of that empty space, and then perhaps using Partition Magic or some other utility to join the data partitions.
    This is just a guess-timation and suggestion based on my limited knowledge of Ghost, however!
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

if you run scan disk it might correct the partition size. i know this works on fat32 and fat16 but i havn't had the 'pleasure' of having to try it on NTFS
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Try breaking the mirror and then recreating it.

Noodle was the closest.
    The reason is I didnt break the mirror before cloning. Ghost will clone to a larger partition, and adds the space on the end, but thank you all for your help. The drives are resized, and mirrors are being rebuilt as we speak. If the mirror isnt broken first, it sees it as a striped set still and tries to keep the size.

Avenger_jcc
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.