Motherboards

Thread: Motherboards

Question Motherboards

If anyone can help Id greatly appreciate it. I am trying to find information on motherboards ie...the types of speed they run at, what speeds will run what types of hardware for computers. All I keep finding about motherboards is the product itself but no explanations as to what the motherboard can run on it. I want to build my own computer and have read a few of the posts on this subject. IM just not getting the type of info im looking for.. IM lm looking to build a fast machine that will have great programming capabilities as well as play games with high end graphics and run dvd's. Thanks for the help.

The Iceman Cometh
    Start by checking out www.motherboards.com There, you can find different motherboard vendors and specs on many of their mainstream boards. If you're planning on building your own computer, I would suggest deciding what type/speed of processor you want first. From there, decide what sort of boards you want for expansion (i.e. video card, NIC, modem, sound card, etc.). Once you know what type of expansion boards you want, you can start seaching different motherboards to find exactly what you're looking for.

AJ

Old Fart
    In addition you might want to browse the mainboard guide at Tom's Hardware Guide ....home of some very concise reviews.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Thanks for the suggestions there Avdven and Allenb1963, I'll check them out. Im loking at running pentium 111 or 4 or something equivilant to those. Appreciate the info.

you might want to check out Tyan at Http://www.tyan.com

thanks will do there ratman, Checking everything people throw at me. sooner or later I'll be able to help someone else out , thanks folks.

Don't forget to visit www.driverguide.com to see if there are any driver updates for the mobo you want.Don't buy a mobo if the company don't provide updates.

Hey thanks Farstriker thats a great tip, I never even thought about that.