Hello all. Recently I decided to upgrade my Mandrake Linux 9.0 box from the 2.4.19-16mdk custom mandrake linux kernel, to the 2.4.20 stock linux kernel. It was not only a learning experience, but proved to be an excellent upgrade. With the stock linux kernel, Mandrake seems to be snappier and quicker responding. Ive been told also that in Red Hat 8.0, the same effect was achieved and programs like VMWare worked a great deal faster. Before you start you need to be sure you have all the development libraries, or you will not make it very far.

1. $ su
enter root's password

2. # cd /usr/src
3. # wget -c http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...2.4.20.tar.bz2
For those not familiar with wget, it is a program that downloads files or websites as a background process. It supports continuing downloads, so it is ideal for dial up users especially. The kernel is around 30 megs, so be warned if you use dial up.

4. # tar -xvjf linux-2.4.20.tar.bz2
5. # rm -f linux-2.4 linux
6. # ln -s linux-2.4.20 linux-2.4
7. # ln -s linux-2.4 linux
8. # cd linux
9. # cp /boot/config-2.4.19-16mdk .config
10. # make xconfig

At this point the linux kernel configurator will pop up and you should customize it to your needs. When you are finished click on Save and Exit.

Back at the command line:

11. # make dep
12. # make clean
13. # make bzImage
14. # make modules
15. # make modules_install
16. # make install

After this is all done just restart your computer. A new entry in lilo or grub will have been created. In lilo, it appears as "2420". Your old kernel is still there too in case you have any trouble with the new one. By the way this is not a very short process. On my 400 mhz laptop it took around 2 and a half hours to complete.
Thanks to Void Main for teaching me how to do this.