Thread: Installing the 2.4.20 kernel

Post Installing the 2.4.20 kernel

Hello all. Recently I decided to upgrade my Mandrake Linux 9.0 box from the 2.4.19-16mdk custom mandrake linux kernel, to the 2.4.20 stock linux kernel. It was not only a learning experience, but proved to be an excellent upgrade. With the stock linux kernel, Mandrake seems to be snappier and quicker responding. Ive been told also that in Red Hat 8.0, the same effect was achieved and programs like VMWare worked a great deal faster. Before you start you need to be sure you have all the development libraries, or you will not make it very far.

1. $ su
    enter root's password

2. # cd /usr/src
    3. # wget -c http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...2.4.20.tar.bz2
    For those not familiar with wget, it is a program that downloads files or websites as a background process. It supports continuing downloads, so it is ideal for dial up users especially. The kernel is around 30 megs, so be warned if you use dial up.

4. # tar -xvjf linux-2.4.20.tar.bz2
    5. # rm -f linux-2.4 linux
    6. # ln -s linux-2.4.20 linux-2.4
    7. # ln -s linux-2.4 linux
    8. # cd linux
    9. # cp /boot/config-2.4.19-16mdk .config
    10. # make xconfig

At this point the linux kernel configurator will pop up and you should customize it to your needs. When you are finished click on Save and Exit.

Back at the command line:

11. # make dep
    12. # make clean
    13. # make bzImage
    14. # make modules
    15. # make modules_install
    16. # make install

After this is all done just restart your computer. A new entry in lilo or grub will have been created. In lilo, it appears as "2420". Your old kernel is still there too in case you have any trouble with the new one. By the way this is not a very short process. On my 400 mhz laptop it took around 2 and a half hours to complete.
    Thanks to Void Main for teaching me how to do this.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Mandrake seems to be snappier and quicker responding. Ive been told also that in Red Hat 8.0, the same effect was achieved and programs like VMWare worked a great deal faster.
    Excellent tutorial.

You will almost always get better performance by compiling a custom kernel for a variety of reasons, the most important of which is that both Mandrake and Red Hat compile in everything but the kitchen sink to try and get the broadest hardware compatibility possible out of the box. They also apply a lot of custom patches to their kernels, some of which are extremely flaky. I won't call any names, but uh...... <cough> supermount <cough>.....

If you really need a kernel patch that's one thing, but otherwise, it's probably not in the stock kernel for a reason. In the immortal words of Mr. Scott, the more complicated you make the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Great stuff Preacher,

I have tried kernel upgrades before but have only really succeeded in hosing the system. I have made a copy of your post and when game enough will try this again, its something that has continued to beat me in the past but I will master it one day !!.

I run Mandrake so I have taken problemchilds words on board

wow good job man......thanks for that..I've done it already.

Do you think we can do this on next kernel 2.6 ?? when available.....

Cheersss

ps : I've read about Linus T interview next kernel will be 2,.6 mm..not kernel 3 << correct me if I am wrong..

ups I found a bugs on kernel 2.4.20 ..that bugs can corrupt your data on and ext3 file system

check out http://developers.slashdot.org/artic.../12/03/0411219
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!

Nice Tutorial.

A patch that users may also want to add to 2.4.20 which helps lock down on buffer overflows, and helps secure various other parts of a linux OS is the GR Security kernel patch ( http://www.grsecurity.net )

Up to point #8 of the install guide, do the following:

wget the file into the 'linux' directory e.g.,

$ cd /usr/src/linux/
    $ wget "http://www.grsecurity.net/grsecurity-1.9.8-2.4.20.patch"

Then patch the kernel accordingly:

$ patch -p1 < grsecurity-1.9.8-2.4.20.patch

And thats you.

NOTE:: I'm not too sure what the effects of adding this patch will make to copying your previous compile config file, and you *may* have to run 'make menuconfig'

If anyone tries it and has problems, please feel free to contact me and i'll be happy to help.

-Ancile.
    God / Root..

....Whats the difference?

good post I asked this question a few months back and got some real good information.
    here is the post
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...=kernel+2.4.20

Also a piece of advice. A kernel can be no larger than size x. Unfortunately I dont remember the size. But if you get warning after make bzImage than reduce your kernel size by installing the packages as modules. That will save you a lot of time

pEaCe
    kNoWLeDgE