Thread: Is it a crime?

Is it a crime?

Now, before I get into the column, I want to make sure that all of you are looking at (and preferably clicking on) the advertisements in this page, because if you aren't, then you are practically stealing this column.

And if you're using any kind of image- or ad-blocking software, you may be an evil, Al-Capone-like thief. Why, oh why, must you break the sacred implied contract that commands you to dutifully view every ad as a sort of payment for this wonderful content?

OK, I'm kidding, but there are people out there who aren't. Earlier this year, the CEO of Turner Broadcasting equated using a Digital Video Recording device to skip commercials with stealing. Now, given the fact that these types of devices are becoming extremely popular, why would a company basically call its own customers thieves?

And TBS isn't the only one. Recording companies are suing ISPs in order to get the names of people downloading files from P2P networks, in order to sue people who are most likely huge music fans. They are also busily limiting the capabilities of their own products (and trying to limit other products) in order to prevent piracy, although in the process they are also making their products less flexible for all users.

And, of course, software companies want to add controls that allow them to make sure your system has only software that you have paid for, but they are going to have to make your software less secure in order to do this.

And don't even get me started on the broadband companies that entice you to sign up with flashy ads showing all the multimedia and games you can download with your new, fast connection—and then, when you use it like the people in the ads, call you a bandwidth hog.

Basically, all of these moves end up being attacks by companies on their own customers. It seems to me that in tough times you should do everything possible to keep current customers and get new ones. But most of these companies seem to be more concerned with saving a buck today, even if it will end up costing them $100 tomorrow.

Now get up there and click on that ad! (just kidding).
    Article here: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,760795,00.asp
    If you receive something that says \'Send this to everyone you know,\' pretend you don\'t know me.

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    I read the entire article but was interested in one particular area.

Recording companies are suing ISPs in order to get the names of people downloading files from P2P networks, in order to sue people who are most likely huge music fans. They are also busily limiting the capabilities of their own products (and trying to limit other products) in order to prevent piracy, although in the process they are also making their products less flexible for all users
    I guess I kind of see the viewpoint of both sides. We, the customers, don't want to pay money for something we can get for free(which we all know can't last forever without someone bitching or making a law against it). They, the recording companies, don't want consumers getting sh*t for free (after all, it isn't free for them to produce the music).
    I dunno, I propose something simple, in fact it may have already been introduced in some apsect or another but, here it is anyways.

I was thinking of some form of pre-paid music shareware. Not some lengthy membership, nor monthy fees. Just your basic, Kazaa or Napster type software with register key entry which is time based. Almost identical in idea of the pre-paid cell phone, only with online music recording software.
    You pay x amount of dollars, you get x amount of time, and within that time frame, you can download music until your computer blows up or you go comatose. IF you're content, you can stop when the time expires and never spend another dime on it, or buy more sharetime, your choosing and continue.
    How to determine the money and amount of time per dollar paid...would be up to some kind of middle ground between the consumers and the recording companies (or should be IMO).

I dunno. I guess I'm trying to find a way to make both sides happy in the long run. IS it possible? I have no idea. I'm just making a suggestion I guess.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

The only real crime with web advertisements is third party servers placing cookies and profiling us to sell our information without our permission.

-+-+-+-+
    why would a company basically call its own customers thieves?

Basically, all of these moves end up being attacks by companies on their own customers. It seems to me that in tough times you should do everything possible to keep current customers and get new ones. But most of these companies seem to be more concerned with saving a buck today, even if it will end up costing them $100 tomorrow.
    -+-+-+-+

Simply... because they can. They know they can spindle, fold and mutilate the general public. Insult, humiliate and degrade them and they’ll not only put up with it, many more new and shiny customers will come to join them.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”