telemarketers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: telemarketers

telemarketers

My family is racked with calls from people soliciting phone calls. I got fed up with asking to be taken off the list so I decide to have some fun with them. One day a guy called and I asked his name and asked who his company was, if he was married (he said no, so I wanted to know if he was available, he said "no comment".)
    I talked to him for a while and he kept teling me it wasn't any of my business. He got angry and hung up a few minutes later. About 2 days later the same guy called back and I was like " Hey! Whats up Chuck? (his name was Chuck you see). Got a girlfriend yet?. The guy said of s**t its you again and hung up. It was so funny. My friend and I had an idea for a prank on a telemarketer hasn't called us in a while (I swear they give each other info). Here's how it goes: tele-hello! how are you?
    me : is this the suicide hotline? I knew you guys would call back. My girlfriend broke up with me and I just can't go on. I just wanna die! ( audible cocking of a gun) . I'm gonna go now. (KABOOM!)
    tele- sir sir are you there?
    me- Yes I missed. Hang on I need to reload. (click)
    If you have any stories or ideas please feel free to tell me.

Talking TELE

I WOULD LOVE TO PULL THAT TYPE OF THING OFF
    why?

the latest 2600 has a great article on this. Check it out.
    [gloworange]DISLEX[/gloworange]

Banned
    Did you know that it is illegal for telco to call you after you ask to be taken off their list? If they call after you ask them not to then it becomes harassment

.......Its got so bad around here that we use the home phone for outgoing calls only.

The state of Montata has legislation pending to create a state list. All telemarketers will be required to check that list and will be violating the law if they call anyone on it. I can hardly wait for that. We also have spam legislation pending, but I am unsure how that will end up working.
    If you receive something that says \'Send this to everyone you know,\' pretend you don\'t know me.

yes I know if you ask them to be taken off the calling list you get the name of the company and the phone #s if they call back I think you can sue

Banned
    I respond in a similar way, asking the telemarketer questions instead. The is a very good flow chart on the internet for this purpose. It is annoying but also fun as I usually answer "no comment" for all the questions ... LOL

Old Fart
    We have a "no-call" list in my state, which keeps it quiet for me thank goodness. For those of you who do not enjoy such legislation, might I recommend a trip to Wal Mart or the local sporting goods store. Find the boating supplies section and pick up a "portable boat horn" (make sure you get one that is audible up to about 1.5 miles, or 3km) to keep by the phone for those telemarketers. Allow them time to get at least half way thru their pitch then blast away and hang up. After all....they give SO much to us, why shouldn't we give back? One quick blast usually gets the message across AND buys that poor joker a 10 minute break before he can hear well enough to harrass anyone else.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

It is my understanding that the FCC is currently considering creating a national no call list. What I've read so far indicates that it would be a free service (must states that offer it charge a $6-8 yearly fee). The FCC moves @ a glacier space (so maybe by the time my not yet created children are in colleage it will be offered). My sources are Forbes and the Wall Street Journal -neither of which have discussed it recently -maybe the FCC moved away from that idea.

Cheers,
    -D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke