An interesting new OS, 98Lite

Thread: An interesting new OS, 98Lite

An interesting new OS, 98Lite

Found this at http://www.litepc.com

It's an Australian firm, I think, that has a very fast, stable, stripped version of Win98. I haven't read all of it yet, but apparently it can be downloaded as a trial version in their freeware and used forever. They're also working on a W2000 Lite version that should be ready soon, and also XP Lite, but are having some difficulty due to all the little programs that communicate with Microsoft. Apparently there's a problem making XP stable if they're removed.

98Lite has Internet Explorer and some other stuff removed. The reports I read from people using it, on another forum, say it's extremely fast and very stable..more so than the MS version.

How they're getting around Microsoft, I don't know, but apparently they've managed. This was the OS used in the Microsoft trial to prove that MS Could remove IE from their software after they said it couldn't be done.

Banned
    Not quite,

98Lite is a Windows Modifier. The download file is only 318k and it installs a DOS app that will customize the windows installation. Instead of having embedded software in Windows, this little app allows you to pick and choose the stuff you install (ie: IE (in or out), Fileman (in or out)...)

sounds pretty good i might use it in my nex install
    --=::[ LeNc}{ ]::=-- stealing your time for pathetic web sites since 1998

Thanks Tyger Claw. My ignorance showed again. If still sounds pretty interesting though.

Re: An interesting new OS, 98Lite

I just used this windows modifier and it did its job good!
    I used option 2 to remove some ballast from my win98 partition.[not ie 6.0]

When i started speed disk i saw alot of new fragmentation!

Works great!!!

Thx.
    i m gone,thx everyone for so much fun and good info.
    cheers and good bye

Banned
    No problem!

Excitement can get the best of us

Just check out the whole details first (I'm speaking from experience too)

Kwiep
    As far as I know this is almost as old as Windows 98 itself... with me that programm came on the windows 98 installation cd even. How old is win98 ? 4 years? It's a nice programm though, nice find.
    Double Dutch