Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ide??

Senior since the 3 dot era
    To avoid ESD (damage from static electricity) always make sure you 'unload' yourself before touching pc parts. So before you start working on a box, touch the metal case / chassis. You can leave the power cord plugged therefor it stays earthed. If you are free of static electricity, unplug the power cord and work on the box.

I would like to add my 2 cents...

A VXD file is a virtual device driver (most typically associated with video drivers, though not exclusive to them), and VMM stands for something like Virtual Memory Management.
    Your cure, if you take what I said, is simply to uninstall and reinstall your MSN.
    True, that the memory references an actual memory allocation address, however, a problem of this nature is usually solved with a reinstallation of software. USUALLY being the keyword. Try uninstalling and reinstalling MSN before you go poking around inside your machine, especially if you have never been in there before.
    To give you a better understanding of the VMM and VXDs, go to Microsoft's site, and do a search for VMM and VXD.
    Good luck!!
    \"...and the meek shall inherit the earth.\"
    RUSH - 2112

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    KellyBelly my dear.......

Before you get carried away with diving headfirst into removing memorty modules that you profess not to know what they even look like, (that is not meant as a criticism at all), you should first reinstall the offending app. I have rarely, no.... extremely rarely, ever seen a system that always gives a memory error at exactly the same place in the same program and only that program be anything to do with the memory hardware itself.

When you get these kinds of errors it is because the program is attempting to access an area of memory that has been set aside and is protected for the operating systems use. The program is in error trying to access that area of memory and this is usually due to the program being damaged and having a wrong destination address or offset call as a result. So your program wombles along quite happily until it needs to execute the damaged code. At that point let's say the call was an offset, (jump to the code at address X and execute that code), of 1000 characters. That jump would put it at memory address, (yes, it's an address just like your house has one....<s>), 2000 let's say. That's all fine - the address at 2000 and above are set aside for the programs to use and everything runs along fine. Then one day the program gets damaged and the spot that got damaged is that place that determines how much that offset is and it gets changed to 500. Now when you program hits the offset it jumps to 1500...... Oooooops..... Bummer, the memory addresses from 1000 to 1999 have been set aside for the system itself and are protected by the system. Your program makes the call to the address and the system shows you the error message you are seeing.... It is simply telling you that it has prevented a program, (in your case MSN), from accessing an area of memory it is not allowed to access.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Hey everyone,

Wow, I didn't think I'd get this many replies! The context I'm seeing ide in is when I turn my computer on and the black screen comes on and it shows me the memory and stuff. If you get what I'm saying. It isn't important, but I'd never noticed before and I just thought I'd ask what it is.

I deleted and reinstalled msn, and now my computer just freezes when I try to sign in. So I don't know if my problem has progressed at all.

But it also freezes when I'm not trying to log into msn sometimes and I get the dreaded blue screen and a message saying that there's an invalid page fault in module mshtml.dll at 0137:70c343b4.

In short, I seriously need a better computer. Maybe when I grow up.

Anyway, thankyou all for your help so far.

Love Kelly

Who wants to know how dumb I feel?

So, even though I already deleted and reinstalled msn, I figured I'd try it all again because going inside to my memory thingos and unscrewing and static electricity and stuff all sounded a bit daunting. I reinstalled it, it worked and my problem went away. I think. Well, it's not here at the moment.

Why do you think it was there in the first place?

Anyway, I'm gonna say a huge thankyou to each and every single person who tried to help me.

THANKYOU!!

You guys have made me feel really welcome. I just hope that one day I'll know enough to help someone like me the way you have.

Bye!

Hey

Just thought 'd let you know that my last post somehow got two made into one.

Don't ask me.

Bye!

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    KellyBelly: As an old friend and mentor once said to me more years ago than I care to remember....... "Sometimes this stuff is just voodoo".........

Glad you seem to be fixed.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides